COLUMN: ​David Harrison should continue teaching at IU

David Harrison, a professor at the Kelley School of Business, completely shattered my generally non-interactive demeanor.

He teaches business concepts through personal stories that make me feel like I’m listening to a TED speaker rather than a routine professor.

Unfortunately, he’s being asked to leave IU.

When I heard this news, I was absolutely floored. How could the only teacher that I’ve felt a real connection to in Kelley be fired? I immediately speed-walked to his office hours and asked him how this could have happened.

Apparently there were some issues internally within the Kelley framework that have culminated in professor Harrison being shown the door.

I can’t claim to understand the complexities of any relationship between professor and university. When it comes to a situation as tricky as this one, I know that I won’t ever understand everything that was said or done leading up to this decision by Kelley School of Business Dean Idalene Kesner.

But from my perspective, it’s truly confounding to think Kelley would ask such a wonderful and revered teacher to leave. Bureaucracy and internal issues shouldn’t deprive students of the guidance and wisdom of professors such as David Harrison.

I know I’m not alone in my opinion of Professor Harrison. He has been nominated for numerous teaching awards throughout his years at Kelley. Students consistently value his energetic style and personal experience year after year. He encourages us to think for ourselves within the large framework of business culture.

Professor Harrison has also received nominations for many philanthropic awards in his lifetime. He has actively funded charitable operations in developing parts of Africa for many years, using his private success to better the world around him.

From a student’s perspective, what more could you 
ask for?

I don’t expect Dean Kesner to make public her reasoning behind asking professor Harrison to leave. But barring something absolutely catastrophic, it’s hard to imagine what exactly could have occurred to lead to a decision so drastic.

Despite what the Kelley administration may think, this is only going to hurt students. Kelley prides itself on its ability to engage students in the business world with real experience and highly knowledgeable professors. It’s a top business school in America for a reason.

But this is undoubtedly a step in the wrong direction. Professor Harrison is the epitome of a world-class Kelley professor, and I’m deeply saddened by his departure next semester.

If you’ve been similarly influenced by professor Harrison, I urge you to let Dean Kesner know. Maybe Kelley just doesn’t realize how rarely a professor like David Harrison comes around, and we should make this clear to the administration.

IU will be worse off without him.