sports field hockey

Crucial home matchups await IU field hockey this weekend

spiufh

The Hoosiers were defeated in overtime in both games last weekend and will need to bring their top game this weekend to get positive results against strong offensive teams.

In its seventh weekend of competition, IU will face No. 6 Northwestern at 3 p.m. Friday and No. 14 Boston College at noon Sunday.

Last season the Hoosiers were victorious when they faced Northwestern and another ranked opponent in the same weekend.

“I think preparing for top 10 teams is exciting,” IU Coach Amanda Janney said. “We know that we have to bring our best, but I think we are very focused on what Indiana field hockey is doing, what our strategy is for the weekend and just executing our best.”

Last season, the Hoosiers defeated No. 16 Iowa and No. 14 Northwestern in the same weekend. Senior Kate Barber and junior Maddie Latino scored during that weekend and will be most likely leading the Hoosier offense this weekend.

However, things are different for the Wildcats this season.

They have an overall record of 10-2 and have not stopped winning since Sept. 9. They also have one of the most efficient offensive lines in the country, producing 53 goals in 12 games.

This season the Wildcats also defeated No. 4 Penn State and No. 6 Maryland in one weekend and have a perfect Big Ten record in four games.

The Hoosiers have allowed 27 goals in 12 games and will need to be strong defensively against the Wildcats in order to earn a victory.

“I think a good defense is a really talented attack,” Janney said. “We know they have fast forwards and we know our back line will be under pressure but they have been doing great all season.”

On the other hand, Sunday’s game will not be any easier for IU as they face against Boston College. This season the Eagles have defeated No. 3 North Carolina and No. 14 Stanford..

“I think beating Northwestern would be huge for the fact the games that they have already won,” senior midfielder Morgan Dye said. “So if we beat it kind of shows the rest of the Big Ten where we are standing. And then for Boston College normally the ACC is one of the biggest conferences of the nation so for us to get a win would be great for the Big Ten.”