politics

New office promotes Democratic ticket in Bloomington

Marcella Jewel speaks at the rally Wednesday night to launch the local Hillary Clinton campaign quarters. Jewel is the state director in Indiana for Clinton’s campaign.

With tears in her eyes, Vi Simpson said her proudest moment was when her grandchildren watched her on television announcing the Indiana delegates for Clinton at roll call.

“It’s not just historical. For me, this was something I didn’t think I’d ever see,” the former state senator and Indiana Delegation Chairwoman said.

Simpson and other local Democratic Party leaders welcomed 200 southern Indiana residents to the new party office Wednesday, located at 501 N. Walnut St., and encouraged supporters to get involved. The office will be home to the campaigns for Clinton, John Gregg, Evan BayhGlenda Ritz and other local Democrats.

Simpson said this is the most important election voters will ever participate in, and this time she “damn well means it.” She said her only regret is that her mother, who was a lifelong feminist, did not live to see Clinton nominated for president.

“This is a great opportunity to bring a democratic victory from the White House down to the courthouse,” said Mark Fraley, chair of the Democratic Party of Monroe County. “Tonight is about animating good Democrats and making them feel proud to support Democrats.”

The Bloomington office is the second Democratic Party office to open in the state, Mayor John Hamilton said. The state headquarters opened this summer in 
Indianapolis.

Democrats are invested in building an infrastructure in Bloomington, said Kegan Ferguson, president of the College Democrats of
 Indiana.

[College Democrats at IU endorse Clinton for president | IDS]

Local organizers are planning canvasses, phone banks and voter outreach efforts across southern Indiana that will be coordinated out of the shared headquarters, Ferguson said. Students interested in getting involved can apply to be an intern or fellow with the campaigns, he said.

Dawn Johnsen, IU Maurer School of Law professor, said the Clinton campaign has always been about economic and social justice, and this will carry over to the Bloomington campaign office.

The sole purpose of campaigns is to persuade people to do one simple action — vote. The Clinton campaign will spend millions of dollars and hours in manpower to do this, said Marcella Jewell, state director for the Clinton campaign.

[PACE makes voter registration accessible through Canvas | IDS]

“We want to show people Indiana is not just a red state,” Simpson said.

Fraley said he hopes the rally will bring Democrats together and encourage Bernie Sanders supporters to stand with Clinton in the upcoming election.

“You can still be with her and feel the Bern,” 
Fraley said.

Democratic Party supporters at the rally were also reminded to vote for Democratic City Council candidates, who are not included when voters vote straight ticket, Fraley said.

“Always remember vote D plus three,” Fraley said.

Ultimately, the new office will function as a home away from home for local Democrats, Fraley said.

[Local democrats launch African-American caucus | IDS]

This will be a place where Democrats can congregate to make phone calls and organize voter registration efforts, but it will also be a place where people can come and enjoy the company of their Democratic friends, 
Fraley said.

“Welcome to our new Democratic home in Bloomington, Indiana,” Fraley said. “This office is going to do momentous things.”