crime & courts

Man leads BPD in car chase across Bloomington

Region filler image

The Bloomington Police Department was in a car chase early Tuesday morning that went across town.

At 12:30 a.m., BPD responded to a call with an ambulance crew about a possibly unconscious woman.

BPD officers at the scene of the unconscious woman were told that two people who had been with the woman had arrest warrants and that they would be at Illinois Court in a white 
passenger van.

While medical services took care of the unconscious woman, a BPD officer located the vehicle. Kenneth Jordan, 29, was the driver and was alone in the vehicle.

After the white van did not signal its intention to turn, the officer turned his lights and siren on and stopped the vehicle.

Once the officer got out of his vehicle and approached, the van sped off. The officer returned to his vehicle and began the pursuit.

The police followed Jordan south on Adams Street. The van then took a right on Kirkwood Avenue. Once on Kirkwood, the van was forced to swerve around vehicles, but no one was injured there.

The driver of the van then turned on Hopewell — a dead end — and began to drive across yards.

The vehicle began going east on Sixth Street, and Jordan threw a loaded Glock 17 9mm handgun out of the car at Sixth and Pine streets.

This gun had been 
reported stolen in 2013.

Shortly after throwing the gun out of the car, Jordan ran into the traffic stops in the center of the road and wrecked his vehicle.

BPD officers arrested Jordan for resisting arrest, possession of marijuana, reckless driving, driving without a license and possession of a handgun without a license.

Police then searched the vehicle. They found marijuana, cash and sandwich bags in the vehicle. Kellams said the bags are possible signs of drug dealing.

There is no further information on the people with the unconscious woman.