sports men's soccer

Hoosiers shuffle around in national rankings

spiums

The Hoosiers are getting a bit of a shake up in the national rankings following their Big Ten opener last Friday.

The Hoosiers scrapped and battled in their match against the Maryland Terrapins as two of the top teams in the Big Ten opened up the conference slate. IU struck first, but couldn’t hold on down the stretch before the match ended in a 1-1 extra time draw.

The new week of matches against Michigan Wednesday and Northwestern Sunday brings another batch of rankings with the Hoosiers moving up in a few polls and back in another.

Top Drawer Soccer moved IU back one spot to No. 5, while College Soccer News made the Hoosiers their sixth ranked team, up one spot from last week. As for the NSCAA coaches poll, IU slots in at No. 3, up one spot from No. 4. Lastly, Soccer America moved the Hoosiers up to No. 6.

As for the rest of the Big Ten, Indiana remains the highest ranked team in the NSCAA poll with Maryland right behind them at No. 4. No other team in the conference is ranked, according to the coaches poll, and no other team even received votes.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley doesn’t take these polls into much consideration nor put much stock into them, but did say, when asked a few weeks ago, that it is a nice to be recognized.

The Hoosiers are still set for matchups with in-state opponents Notre Dame and Butler who come in this week at No. 1 and No. 10, respectively. Louisville, another IU opponent, received votes, but not enough to crack the polls.

Josh Eastern