arts performances

Godfather of British Blues performs a variety of instruments in trio format

entmayall

John Mayall, the godfather of British blues, highlighted his organ skills Sunday night with his new band format at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

The stage was lined with two keyboards, which Mayall switched between while also playing guitar and harmonica. His wild harmonica solos earned the crowd’s applause and whistles.

This fall tour was Mayall’s first time touring without another guitarist in his 50-year music career, according to a Mark Pucci Media press release. Mayall, a blues guitarist, singer, songwriter and organist, was joined by bassist Greg Rzab and drummer Jay Davenport.

Mayall’s usual guitarist, Rocky Athas, was stuck in Texas during the summer due to storms, and the band was forced to play as a trio without him at several music festivals. Mayall said he decided afterward to keep the structure, and Athas continued working on his solo music.

“It led to a whole different flavor,” Mayall said of the trio structure. “I got very excited about it and decided that would be a new thing for me to try.”

William Morris, host of the Soul Kitchen on WFIU-FM 103.7, said he had listened to Mayall in a variety of band formats, and, while the instruments changed, his sound stayed true.

“There’s a sound that he has that’s very bluesy,” Morris said. “I don’t think he could get away from it no matter if there’s one or seven people.”

Morris described Mayall’s sound and legacy as having a rough and real edge like sandpaper.

“He sings the blues authentically,” Morris said.

Mayall’s Sunday show was a representative mix of his expansive blues discography.

The band usually chooses from 40 songs to put together each show’s playlist, Mayall said.

“It’s a different show every night. A lot of people that live within striking distance of two gigs in a row, then they’ll be getting two completely different setlists,” Mayall said. “It keeps it extremely interesting for us and stimulating, and the audience really respond to it.”

The already small theater was only about half full, but Morris said it was about quality not quantity.

“The people in there will really appreciate who he is,” he said.

Mayall played covers of early blues artists and his early original songs, including Bluesbreakers’ material.

Mayall founded the Bluesbreakers in London in the early ’60s. The band included members of the Yardbirds, the Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac and Cream. The group’s membership was in flux. Members came and went until Mayall retired the band name in 2008.

“Anyone who knows anything about British rock knows his substantial role,” Morris said. “It’s not like seeing the people on Mount Rushmore but the sculptor.”

He also played from his latest album, “Find a Way to Care”, released in 2015. The album parallels his current live shows, is composed of a mix of covers and originals and features his keyboard skills.

“The purpose of recording is to document what you’re up to at any given time,” Mayall said. “It allows you to completely get your repertoire moving in a forward direction.”

He recently completed recording his next album “Talk About That,” he said. The album features Joe Walsh, guitarist for the 
Eagles.

“There’s a continuing lively interest in blues music,” Mayall said. “People coming in generations after generations are just responding to it like no other time in history.”

Morris called Mayall a “road cat.” At age 85, he’s still saying “let me rock or let me die.”

“If you’re a musician, you love what you do,” Mayall said. “You’re creating something, and you want to have an audience to get feedback from. There’s nothing like being before a live audience, it’s indescribable. It’s the lifeblood of music to actually perform before people.”