College Democrats look to future election at Trumpocalpyse

caTrumpocalypse

For the third semester in a row, the College Democrats at Indiana University held Trumpocalypse to discuss their stance against Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

The group’s Wednesday event focused on general political involvement as well as problems in the Republican candidate’s personal statements, platforms and potential policies.

“We are discussing the failure that would be a Trump presidency and how our country is doomed if he is elected,” junior and president Terry Tossman said.

Freshman Brooke O’Connor said she came to the event because she believes Trump is a threat to progress and security in America.

“I thought it would be a fun event because he is a joke, and I thought I’d come to an event where people just rip him apart,” 
O’Connor said.

She said she is not anti-Republican, just anti-Trump.

In other situations, O’Connor said she does not always vocalize her opinion about Trump and is usually open to ideals that differ from her own.

Tossman said he made up his mind about the candidate this summer when Trump mocked a disabled reporter last summer. Both of Tossman’s parents are deaf, so the comments turned him against the candidate.

Tossman said Trump’s recent comments are just as inappropriate as the comments he made then.

“He’s trying to change himself so he seems more appealing, but the fact of the matter is he isn’t,” 
Tossman said.

He also said he likes Clinton’s policies for the middle class much more than Trump’s.

This semester’s Trumpocalypse also focused on Trump’s running mate, Indiana governor Mike Pence.

Events Director and senior Ari Hoffman said he is concerned that Pence, who has more government experience than Trump, could push legislation nationwide that Hoffman thinks has already hurt Hoosiers.

“As College Democrats, we have a lot of experience with Pence as a governor,” Hoffman said. “We understand he should be kept far, far from the White House.”

Hoffman and Tossman said that despite the focus on Trump, they hoped the event would simply help students engage in the election. It was a way to help keep students involved and remember 
to vote.

“We hope that as goofy as this event is going to be, it will get students involved in the political conversation,” Hoffman said.