Indiana Arts Commission announces new installation

The first of two pieces of public artwork for the Indiana Bicentennial Plaza in Indianapolis were delivered to the construction site and are now being installed, according to a press release from the Indiana Arts Commission.

The plaza, located near the Indiana Statehouse, will commemorate Indiana’s 200th anniversary of statehood. It will be dedicated Oct. 15.

The piece that is currently being installed is “Enduring Flame” by New York artist Osman Akan, whose wife is a Bloomington native.

The sculpture is a representation of the torch from the Indiana state flag. It was created using a combination of aluminum, safety glass, color filters and a mirror finish.

The open structure of the sculpture allows sunlight to enter and create the illusion of a flame at any time of day, and light sources will be placed around and inside the sculpture at night.

The second piece, to be installed later this fall, is “Time Flow” by Bloomington artist Dale Enochs. “Time Flow” is a figurative representation of a time capsule.

Akan and Enoch’s proposals for their pieces were chosen out of 104 submissions received from 29 states and the District of Columbia.

Eight finalists were asked to submit scale models of their projects, and then the final two were chosen.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.