COLUMN: IU wide receivers poised to be an elite force

Wide receiver Simmie Cobbs, Jr. catches a pass during the Pinstripe Bowl against Duke on Dec. 26 at Yankee Stadium. The Hoosiers lost, 44-41 in overtime.

The IU wide receiving core is about to blow up.

The numbers it put up last year were phenomenal.

This year, the group's incredible combination of depth and talent may make those numbers seem paltry. 

“We were just talking yesterday about how iron sharpens iron, but it really does,” senior Mitchell Paige said at IU football media day last week. “You always have guys pushing you and I better be great today (in practice).”

Paige added that the competition at the position makes everyone better because no one can take a practice off.

The frontline receivers were already going to be strong, even without the intense competition.

Paige, senior Ricky Jones and junior Simmie Cobbs Jr. combined for 171 receptions and 2,625 yards last season. Then, add to that sophomore J-Shun Harris, who is returning from an injury, and two receivers poised for breakout seasons in sophomore Nick Westbrook and freshman Isaac James.

That's six receivers who could conceivably play at an extremely high level.

“I don’t feel like I have ones and twos,” offensive coordinator Kevin Johns said. “I feel like I have a bunch of guys that can go play at any time.”

The Hoosiers have a bevy of options at the position, but the offense would be unstoppable if the starters continue to improve.

Cobbs Jr. and Jones can continue to get better. The pair is explosive, averaging 9.45 yards-per-target last season. Both could continue to add to their game by increasing their catch rate and becoming more consistent.

“No spot is ever guaranteed no matter what you do,” Cobbs Jr. said. “So each day, you know you have someone behind you who is just as hungry as you are.”

Cobbs Jr. and Jones could develop into true stars, capable of winning games on their own. If they rise to that status, it would take pressure off of the quarterback. The offense can still thrive, no matter who the quarterback is.

In fact, the caliber of receivers IU Coach Kevin Wilson has could allow the offense to exceed anything we've seen from a Wilson-led Hoosier offense. That, combined with experienced offensive linemen and running backs, could lead to an even better offense than the one a year ago.

“We are trying to be the best in the nation, not just the Big Ten,” Jones said. “If we need to score more points, we need to score more points. Whatever we need to do, that needs to be our next level thing. We are playing with a lot confidence this year.”

Jones said that confidence would help them when they play the best teams in the country, and that they now belong on the field with those teams.

“Obviously, every year we push to score on every single drive,” Paige said. “I think we can score on every single drive. Not field goals, we want touchdowns. For us to really be elite, we need to score every time we get the ball.”

The IU offense will be elite this year, simply because it has a multitude of receivers poised to be superstars.