We've redesigned our website, please let us know what you think.

From Bloomington to Rio

U.S. swimmer Lilly King swims to a gold medal in the women's 100-meter breaststroke on Monday, Aug. 8, 2016 at the Olympic Aquatic Stadium in Brazil. (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

The closing ceremony Sunday marked the end of the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. Fifteen Hoosiers competed for seven countries in the games and won a total of eight medals. Two IU coaches, Drew Johansen and Ray Looze, also made the trip to Brazil.

Hoosier athletes who participated in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro

If IU were a country

If you rank a country’s medal count by most to least gold medals, then comparing silver and bronze, IU would fall at No. 19 on the list of countries between Cuba and New Zealand for this year's games.

Representing the world

Not all Hoosiers compete for Team USA. An all-time total of 25 countries have been represented by IU. Included on this list are Egypt and Slovenia, which were added after this year’s games.

Events of IU Olympians

Although IU has sent the most all-time athletes into the Olympics as swimmers and divers, the school has also produced one athlete who competed in the modern pentathlon. What’s that? Just a combination of running, swimming, show jumping, fencing and pistol-shooting.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.

Comments