38th annual Indiana Heritage Arts exhibition wraps up this week

The Indiana Heritage Arts, based in Nashville, Indiana, concludes its annual art exhibition Saturday.

IHA’s event, which began June 11, takes place at the newly expanded Brown County Art Gallery. The show and sale of paintings is one of the largest in the Midwest, with thousands of visitors each year.

More than 130 artists entered work to be selected by a jury and then hung during this year’s event.

In total, artists who participated in 2015 received more than $53,000. Several awards are given out at the end of the nearly month-long exhibition, including the People’s Choice Award of $500 and the IHA Directors’ Purchase Award.

The Purchase Award honors Dick Ferrer, a former IHA board member and artist whose work was featured in past shows.

“Our show’s goal is to encourage artists of today who are working in the traditional style made renown by Hoosier artists painting in the late 1800s and early 1900s in Brown County,” said Jim Ross, Indianapolis gallery owner and longtime IHA show organizer, in a 
release.

Anne Blair Browne, nationally-known American impressionist painter and Nashville, Tennessee, native, is this year’s judge.

“We work to find jurors whose work relates to what our artists are doing,” Ross said. “She is an excellent example of the traditional style that appeals to art patrons of today.”

The Gallery is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday this week.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.

Comments