sports baseball

IU loses at Louisville after disastrous sixth inning

Tony Butler, Scotty Bradley and Austin Cangelosi watch the last few innings of play against Louisville as the rain pours down at Jim Patterson stadium on Wednesday night. IU lost 9-2 in their last mid-week game of the season.

The Hoosiers were winning against the No. 5 team in the country.

After five innings against a team that’s lost one home game all year and was undefeated in midweek games, IU was winning.

Then, Louisville went on to score eight runs in the sixth inning on its way to a 9-2 win Tuesday in 
Louisville.

Simply playing the team with the second best RPI in the country helped the Hoosiers’ national standing, but a win could have done more for a team that’s now all but out of consideration for an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Freshman starting pitcher Jonathan Stiever started for the Hoosiers and went 3.2 scoreless innings against one of the highest-scoring offenses in the country.

After allowing back-to-back singles to start the first, the right-hander retired the next three Cardinals, including striking out the No. 4 and No. 5 hitters looking.

After that, both teams struggled to get anything going offensively with IU striking out eight times in the first four innings against Louisville starting pitcher Kade McClure.

But in the fifth inning the Hoosiers broke through. After back-to-back two out singles by sophomore second baseman Colby Stratten and junior outfielder Alex Krupa, junior outfielder Craig Dedelow gave the Hoosiers the lead.

His second double of the game drove in both Stratten and Krupa.

But an inning later, a combination of junior pitcher Luke Stephenson, sophomore pitcher BJ Sabol and freshman pitcher Pauly Milto surrendered eight runs.

IU next starts a three-game series at Nebraska on Thursday. It will be playing for a chance to win the Big Ten regular season title and claim the top seed in the Big Ten Tournament, the only remaining avenue to the NCAA Tournament for the Hoosiers.

The Hoosiers have not lost a series since the first weeks of Big Ten conference play.