IU women's golf finishes season

IU saw its 2015-16 season come to a close Saturday following a final round score of 306 in the NCAA Central Regional. The final round score left the Hoosiers at 45-over-par for the tournament.

The Hoosiers were the 14th of 18 seeds in the three-round tournament at the Traditions Club Golf Course in Bryan, Texas. The Hoosiers finished in 15th place after a 909 total three-round score.

During Thursday’s first round, IU shot 305, which was followed by a 298 in round two and then a 306 in round three. The Hoosiers needed to finish in the top six to advance as a team or have an individual finish as one of the top-three individuals not on a team to move on to the NCAA Championships in two weeks, but that was not the case for IU.

“I think there is a lot to take away,” IU Coach Clint Wallman said. “The girls are very competitive and they definitely can be a player at the national level. We have a great base to start building for next year. I’m really excited and they can compete.”

Senior Camille Chevalier finished her IU career by tying for 42nd with a 224 overall score (+8). She had the lowest score on the team for IU. 

Junior Ana Sanjuan and Chevalier were the top performers for the Hoosiers.  Chevalier's performance stood out Wallman said.  

“There are not enough words to describe her, she was just amazing,” Wallman said. “She really stepped forward on the golf course obviously, but even in practice and every thing she did. She set the example and, between her and Ana, they really elevated everyone’s effort and that was a big part in the run we made in the spring.”

As for the rest of the team, Sanjuan tied for 50th with a score of 225 (+9), junior Theresa-Ann Jedra finished tied for 67th at 14-over-par, freshman Erin Harper tied for 76th at 19-over-par and sophmore Alix Kong placed 91st at 31-over-par for the tournament.

Of the five Hoosiers that competed, three were underclassmen and Wallman said they needed to just settle in, and that is what they did in round two. However, IU dug themselves too deep of a hole after the first round to really make a run at the top six.

“Three of our five players are underclassmen, so it was their first time there,” Wallman said. “I don’t think there were nerves per se, but I think they were so intent on doing well that they probably got revved up.”

Following the final round, Jedra said she was already looking forward to what next year would bring.

“I think for next year it taught us returners that we can compete at that level,” Jedra said. “When we go back to school, we have to start off really well and work as hard as we did at the end of this year because not being on that cut line will make a big difference and give us a big boost in confidence.”

Now moving forward, the “what’s my target” motto Wallman has preached to his players all season will carry into next season where the Hoosiers hope to build off of their success.

“If we take it into next year that’s definitely a big thing and no matter how much we don’t want to say coach is right, he is,” Jedra said. “I think the ‘what’s my target’ is a good motto for our team.”