Senior distance runner becoming a leader

Fifth-year senior Brianna Johnson started running cross-country when she was in fifth grade, and she only started running because her sister did. Her sister ran a race and won a ribbon. Although it was only a participation ribbon for finishing second to last, it was enough to make Brianna want to beat her.

That drive for winning never left her. Johnson stayed with running through successful middle and high school careers and has found triumph at IU. Last weekend, she set the Pac 12-Big Ten meet record in the 3,000 meter steeplechase.

But it has been a journey and somewhat of a struggle for Johnson to get to this point.

“She started off really well as a freshman and then just went in the tank for about two and a half years,” IU Coach Ron Helmer said. “She was unmotivated, she was not confident, she was inconsistent, she was distracted.”

Helmer cited personal reasons for Johnson’s lull in the middle of her IU career. He went on to say after her cross-country season last year, Johnson was more focused on performing well than she had been for those two years prior. She started to progress like the coaches had hoped she would all along. That progression began to pay dividends this year.

“This cross-country season was the best cross-country season she’s ever had,” Helmer said. “This indoor season was the best indoor season she’s ever had, and we expect this outdoor season to be more of the same.”

Johnson, a distance runner from Fort Wayne, Indiana, is sixth in school history in the steeplechase and the 1,500 meter run. Both marks were set during her 2015 season. She said her favorite event to compete in is the steeplechase because of how different it is from other events.

Johnson is one of the few seniors on a very youthful team and the only senior distance runner. She said it’s different, but she likes it. Johnson said it’s fun to be the only senior on such a young team.

Helmer said Johnson has become a leader on the team as she progressed and improved. Sophomore distance runner Brenna Calder said although Johnson is more of a quiet presence, her impact on the team is huge.

“If you look at our team, I don’t think you necessarily think she’s a fifth-year and the oldest on the team,” Calder said. “It’s kind of a quiet leadership role where she just does everything, and people see the results she has, so they follow because of that.”

Johnson said Calder is one of her closest friends on the team, as they work out together frequently and push each other in those workouts. She said junior distance runner Amanda Behnke is one of her other close friends and is her roommate this year.

Calder expressed appreciation for the way Johnson has influenced her personally, as well.

“Last year, she took me under her wing a lot,” Calder said. “She taught me how to work your hardest every single day and make sure you get the most out of every single practice, whether it’s an easy run, a hard run or a workout.”

Johnson’s goal this year is to compete in the steeplechase and the 1,500 meters at Big Ten Championships and hopefully get on the podium for both. She also hopes to compete at regionals and nationals this year. She wants to leave a legacy of having fun and working hard.

“I’d like people to remember to have fun at practice, not take this too seriously and get so worked up about everything,” Johnson said. “And also just to take every opportunity they’re given.”