McSwain visits Bloomington prior to Sunday decision

Something couldn’t escape his mind.

Freddie McSwain was watching freshman center Thomas Bryant, junior guard Josh Newirk and freshman forward OG Anunoby work out his first day on IU’s campus Monday.

Tuesday, the junior college forward at Neosho County Community College, who is considering a transfer to Bloomington, joined in, and he can’t stop thinking about it.

“The workout really stuck out because it was something new I’ve never tried and never done in my life,” McSwain said. “It was new and exciting to learn.”

McSwain is also considering spending his next two years of eligibility at Kansas State. After visiting Manhattan, Kansas, a week ago, 
McSwain took his official visit to IU before he officially announces his decision Sunday.

He spent time talking to IU Coach Tom Crean and the rest of the coaching staff, including strength and conditioning coach Lyonel Anderson, who left a lasting impression.

“Tom Crean showed me campus, and it was just a great environment and I enjoyed everything I did there,” McSwain said. “They’ve got great guys. Even the strength coach was great.”

McSwain said he’s aware of IU’s history of player development, especially that of former Hoosier guard Victor Oladipo.

“They said when he first got there he was in awe of the ball-handling and all that, and then as years passed he developed more and more and he was underrated,” McSwain said. “Nobody thought he was going to be the second pick in the NBA Draft.”

That’s one of the things that makes IU attractive to McSwain, who said he had a late start in basketball.

But he also wants to play, and IU is a team without a lot of openings. Currently, IU has no open scholarships. This all could change if junior forward Troy Williams hires an agent to officially enter the NBA Draft or someone transfers.

If Williams returns, there will be three players with similar playing styles and position to McSwain already at IU.

Even though McSwain has already visited, Kansas State isn’t letting up on its recruiting efforts of the forward.

After leaving Bloomington on Wednesday and flying home, he was visited by Kansas State Coach Bruce Weber on Wednesday night.

“They both have a plan,” McSwain said. “They both have good programs and they both have fantastic histories. They’re both just great schools.”