IU swimming and diving adds Egyptian transfer

IU boasts 191 total Olympic swimming and diving berths, representing 22 countries. On Monday, IU Coach Ray Looze announced the program is receiving another Olympic-hopeful athlete: middle distance freestyle transfer Marwan Elkamash.

Elkamash will have one year of eligibility remaining after his transfer from the University of South Carolina. He was a three-time All American in the 800 freestyle relay as a Gamecock.

In the SEC Championships, Elkamash finished in sixth place in the 200 freestyle. He brought home 11 individual wins this year, with seven victories in the 500 freestyle.

He also holds records for the fastest relay times in program history in the 400 freestyle relay, 800 freestyle relay and 400 medley relay.

For NCAA competition, Elkamash placed 22nd in the 500 free, 35th in the 200 free and 42nd in the 100 free.

Elkamash is ready to join the Hoosier qualifiers in Rio this summer for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in the 200 meter and 400 meter freestyle. Elkamash will be representing Egypt.

He holds the Egyptian record in the 200 freestyle with his time of 1:47.72 and his other qualifying time came from a 4:48.15 in the 400.

In addition to his collegiate experience, Elkamash also has a few international meets under his belt. In 2013 and 2015, he swam at the FINA World Championships in Barcelona and Kazan.

Before college, Elkamash held the No. 1 position in Egypt in the freestyle events of 200, 400, 800 and 1,500, and won six gold medals in the Arab Championships.

Hailey Hernandez