crime & courts

Man arrested on charges of rape

Devin Jordan Smith, 21, was arrested Wednesday on charges of rape. Smith allegedly raped a 19-year-old woman during a Halloween party in downtown Bloomington last fall.

Bloomington police obtained a warrant for Smith’s arrest March 23. He turned himself in to the Marion County Jail on Wednesday and was transported and booked in to the Monroe County Jail, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Joe Crider said.

On or around Nov. 1, 2015, the woman went to a Halloween party on the 300 block of North College Avenue. 

She reported being inappropriately touched and then sexually assaulted by an unknown man at the party, according to a police report. The assault ended when a friend of the female’s walked in, according to the report. Afterward, the man left the party.

BPD detectives interviewed party-goers and hosts of the party, and pieced together information about the suspect based on Halloween costumes. After these interviews, the detectives determined Smith’s name. Around Nov. 9, 2015, a photo lineup that included Smith’s photo was provided to the victim. She named Smith as her rapist.

The woman received a sexual assault examination kit, which resulted in DNA evidence. A DNA swab was taken from Smith on or around Nov. 20, 2015. In early February, a laboratory test in Indianapolis matched Smith’s DNA to the DNA found during the female’s sexual assault exam.

Around March 23, BPD received a warrant for Smith’s arrest on the charge of rape. On Wednesday, Smith turned himself in to the Marion County Jail, where he was arrested on the charge of rape, a level 3 felony. Smith indicated in an initial interview that he “did not engage in sexual relations while in Bloomington” during the night of the party, Crider said.

Hannah Alani

A previous version of this story said Devin Jordan Smith was arrested for rape. It should have said he was arrested on charges of rape. The IDS regrets this error.