Notebook: Johnson's and Morgan's status for Friday night still undetermined

Teammates gather around sophomore guard Robert Johnson during the NCAA Tournament game against Kentucky on Saturday at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa. The Hoosiers won 73-67 to advance to the Sweet 16.

The moment IU Coach Tom Crean became most worried during IU’s 73-67 win against Kentucky on Saturday in the NCAA Tournament wasn’t when sophomore guard Robert Johnson re-injured his ankle in the first half.

He was concerned with how the Hoosiers were going to handle the pressure of the Wildcats, but this didn’t start when he realized Johnson was out for the rest of the game.

Crean said he became concerned when freshman forward Juwan Morgan’s shoulder popped out of its socket again in the second half, because now IU was without a primary ball-handler beside senior guard Yogi Ferrell.

“Juwan can handle that, and then we lost him,” Crean said. “That was the time we got a little nervous because he does so many things for us.”

Against North Carolina in the Sweet 16 on Friday in Philadelphia, IU will face a similar test. Like the Wildcats, the Tar Heels pressure the ball defensively.

The status of both Johnson and Morgan is still undecided for the game. Morgan even required stitches to his head for another injury he suffered in practice Tuesday.

“Robert is iffy so we’re just going to have to see,” Crean said. “Juwan is getting better, but he got some stitches to his head today in practice so he was out there. That poor guy. We just have to wait and see how it goes.”

Bryant staying out of foul trouble 

In each of IU’s two NCAA Tournament games, freshman center Thomas Bryant picked up his second foul three minutes into the game. This means he’s had to spend the majority of the first half of both games on the bench.

Bryant still managed to score in double figures in both games, even leading IU with 19 points against Kentucky.

But against North Carolina, it’s important Bryant stay out of foul trouble because of how skilled the Tar Heels are down low, 
Crean said.

“These guys are very quick in the post,” Crean said. “They’re quick with their moves to the middle and they’re quick with their baseline moves, so you have to do your work early.”

Crean also said both of Bryant’s first-half fouls against Kentucky didn’t make much sense to him, but they were still fouls nonetheless.

The Hoosiers still found 
themselves leading at halftime, and Bryant played well in the second half of both games. Crean credited both of these to the 
decision to play Bryant in the first half, even with two fouls.

“We don’t look at the glass as half-empty if he gets two fouls, and it’s very easy to do that,” Crean said. “We have to figure out what we’re going to do next.”

But if Bryant was able to do that in limited action in the first two rounds, more minutes could mean more 
production.

Bryant said this means doing a variety of things on the court to try and stay out of early foul trouble. Even if the calls were questionable, he can still avoid being put in those situations.

“Honestly just mostly moving better, lateral quickness,” Bryant said. “Just being in spots faster, talking more out there and trying to get in a position where the ref doesn’t have to make those iffy calls.”