IUSA election debate will be Monday

During the IU Student Association election debate, tickets will discuss their platforms, including their stances on diversity and inclusion, safety and well-being, and student life.

“We’re just hoping to give the tickets a platform to talk about their current initiatives, the issues they think are important to campus, why they feel they represent the student body,” Commissioner Catherine Xu said.

The debate, which will be 7 p.m. Monday in Alumni Hall, is put on by the election commission. Made up of 10 members, the election commission is responsible for running a fair election by making sure all rules are upheld by all candidates.

The debate serves as a way for students to be more aware of who’s running and what their stances are, said Savannah Wormley, the commission’s head of 
 marketing.

“It’s important for students to hear the different perspectives so they have a better idea of who to vote for,” Wormley said.

A major change to this year’s debate is the moderator. In previous years, Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan moderated the debate.

This year, however, the moderator will be School of Public and Environmental Affairs professor Paul Helmke, who served as student body president when he was a student at IU.

“I think it will add an interesting twist to the debate,” Wormley said.

Students can also submit their own questions for the debate. If interested, students can submit a question through the election commission’s Facebook page or through their email iusaelectioncommission@gmail.com.

It’s imperative for the commission to hear the student voice and to have questions from all over campus, not just the small body of the commission, Wormley said.

“We want it to be a more representative thing to let tickets know this is what your student body cares about,” Xu said.

The debate will run similarly to local or national debates, Wormley said.

Every ticket will have five minutes to make an opening statement. From there the moderator will ask six questions, either written by the commission beforehand or sent in by students.

Tickets will rotate on who speaks first for each question. They will each have two minutes to answer the questions, with three minutes at the end for a conversation among tickets. Tickets will then have five minutes to make a closing statement.

“The debate mimics what happens on the national level, not done in a joking way,” Wormley said. “It’s important to have something like this at the collegiate level.”

With this also being 
a presidential election year, Xu said people are more involved with the student government elections.

“I think people are more politically hyped overall, so they might be more interested, more invested in their student government 
elections,” Xu said.

The commission hopes the debate will make more students more aware of how they feel about each ticket.

“Hopefully it can start more open conversation about this election and issues overall on campus,” Xu said.

Wormley said she hopes after the debates, the tickets will be excited about the upcoming April 6-7 election.

“I also hope it encourages people to vote,” Wormley said. “Voter turnout is really important to everyone on the commission.”