sports baseball

Hoosiers split four games in Florida

Plating 14 runs in a game for the second time this year snapped a six-game losing streak for IU, winning two of the final three games in the Snowbird Classic this weekend.

IU (3-7) took down Illinois State (4-6) to get back in the win column Friday but then fell to Seton Hall (5-6) for the second time in three days Saturday in extra innings. Defeating in-state rival Butler (3-7) in the final game of the weekend drew the Hoosiers’ record in Florida to .500, giving IU its third win of the year.

Starting pitching was once again at a premium for IU with senior right-hander Kyle Hart striking out 10 while scattering three hits in six innings of shutout ball. Hart was backed behind 14 runs of support generated by the offense for the second time this season.

Senior right-hander Evan Bell was solid in his start against Seton Hall, only allowing one run over six innings. Bell exited the game with a two-run lead that was quickly evaporated in the following inning due to three unearned runs by the Pirates. The Hoosier defeat was the second straight time IU had squandered a Bell lead in extra innings.

The lead was lost immediately after the starter was pulled again in the final game of the weekend against Butler. Senior right-hander Caleb Baragar navigated his way through seven innings of three-hit ball while striking out eight and leaving the game with a 1-0 lead over the Bulldogs.

Butler manufactured a run in the top of the eighth to pull even with IU, but the game didn’t stay tied for long. A deep fly ball off the bat of sophomore designated hitter Isaiah Pasteur was dropped by the left fielder to score sophomore pinch runner Colby Stratten from second and give the Hoosiers a walk-off victory.

IU gained offense from all over the lineup throughout the weekend. Sophomore outfielder Laren Eustace racked up five hits in six at-bats Friday against Illinois State, including a two-run home run to go along with his four RBIs, four runs scored and two stolen bases on the day.

Eustace failed to record a hit in the final two games of the classic as IU relied on others in the lineup to pull through.

Freshman catcher Ryan Fineman and utility man freshman Luke Miller both played significant roles at the plate in IU’s wins. Fineman upped his season batting average to .423 after leading the Hoosiers in hitting this weekend with eight hits over 12 at-bats in Florida.

Miller was all over the diamond, starting two games at third base, one at first base and another as designated hitter for IU in the past four games. The freshman added seven hits this weekend, putting his batting average over .300 for the year while junior outfielder Craig Dedelow strung together six hits, three RBIs and two extra-base knocks, increasing his on-base streak to 15 games dating back to last season.

Sophomore outfielder Logan Sowers was questionable heading into this weekend with a sore wrist. IU coach Chris Lemonis said he hoped Sowers would see some action this weekend after not being able to finish out the Fullerton series. Lemonis elected to start Sowers on Thursday against Seton Hall as he struck out twice and was pinch-hit for in his final at-bat and ultimately sat out the rest of the weekend.