sports softball

Hoosiers score season-high 12 runs to defeat Sycamores

IU overcame an early deficit and rode steady offense en route to a 12-5 win against Indiana State on Wednesday night at Andy Mohr Field.

Southpaw freshman Josie Wood started in the circle for IU (17-10) and gave up three hard-luck runs in the first inning on three Sycamore hits and two errors by the Hoosier defense. After escaping the opening frame with two runners left on base, Wood settled down while the IU offense went to work.

IU’s first three batters loaded the bases with no outs to start the first, and sophomore leadoff batter Rebecca Blitz scored on a double play to get the first run on the board. In the second, senior Katelyn Conenna hit a solo home run to further chip away at the deficit.

Conenna was making just her third start of the season Wednesday night, and the solo shot was her second hit of the year. She finished the game with a 3-3 performance and a pair of RBIs.

In the top of the fourth, Conenna flashed some defensive prowess as well by throwing out an Indiana State runner at third base from left field.

“I just kept going up there and doing my thing,” Conenna said. “I was just swinging away. You have to know you’re going to get your opportunities eventually.”

In the third inning, the Hoosiers finally broke through to the tune of five runs on three hits and an error. Senior Michelle Huber started the run-scoring and tied the game with a line-drive single off the center field wall.

After adding a solo home run at the start of the sixth inning, Huber finished 2-4 with three RBIs. The right fielder, who has gone 7-12 in her last four games, has been on a tear of late.

After a tough opening stretch of the season during which the Hoosiers drew their offense primarily from the first three or four batters in the lineup, other hitters have begun to contribute more for IU.

“It’s really a strength we’re seeing more of now that everyone’s starting to come on,” Coach Michelle Gardner said of the bench.

The Sycamores (7-20) were led offensively by junior Erika Crissman, who went 2-4 and knocked in two of her team’s runs. Sophomore Bailey Benefiel pitched the entirety of the game for Indiana State.

Wood tossed five frames and allowed five runs on six hits and two walks; however, just one of the runs was earned due to three IU errors. Freshman Tara Trainer took over in the circle to begin the sixth inning and shut out the Sycamores the rest of the way.

The 12 runs scored by the Hoosiers marked the second double-digit run total of the year and the highest output of the year. IU managed to push at least one run across in each of their six innings at the plate.

IU will play Iowa at home this weekend to begin the Big Ten schedule. The Hawkeyes are 8-16 thus far, which gives Indiana a shot to earn valuable wins early in conference play.

“They’re all stepping up and starting to play like they should,” Gardner said of her team. “The first Big Ten games are important because you’ve got to set the tone.”