Hoosiers set records in search of Big Ten title

It took IU two days to win its first gold medal. But when it did, it came in record fashion.

Through two days of competition at Big Ten Championships, the Hoosiers are swimming a series of personal bests on their quest for a Big Ten title.

On Wednesday, the 200 medley relay team of junior Bob Glover, senior Tanner Kurz, freshman Vini Lanza and sophomore Ali Khalafalla placed second with a school record of 1:24.63.

The Hoosiers brought home a second silver medal with another school record in the 800 freestyle relay with their 6:16.28 finish. Sophomore Blake Pieroni’s leadoff leg in the freestyle gave him a school record in the 200 free as well. Also on the relay team were juniors Anze Tavcar and Max Irwin and senior Jackson Miller.

Thursday’s events included the 500 free, 200 individual medley, 50 free, 1-meter diving and 400 medley relay.

Irwin placed fifth in the 500 freestyle, followed by teammate freshman Adam Destrampe in eighth. IU had a strong performance in the 200 IM, led by freshman Ian Finnerty in fourth, followed by Lanza in fifth and Pieroni in seventh. Lanza and Finnerty both swam personal-bests in the event.

Khalafalla set a school record in the 50 freestyle of 19.27, to bring home another silver medal for IU and Tavcar touched for fourth.

In diving, junior Joshua Arndt made it to the championship round 1-meter diving and placed fifth.

With the final event of Thursday night, the 400 medley relay team of Glover, Kurz, Lanza and Pieroni managed to give IU wins its first gold medal. The Hoosiers set a school record and pool record with a time of 3:05.61 at the Boilermaker Aquatic Center.

Swimming competition resumes Friday morning at 11 a.m with preliminary heats in the 400 IM, 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke and 100 backstroke. In addition, diving prelims include the 3-meter are scheduled to begin 1 p.m.  

Hailey Hernandez