Can arousal increase breast size?

When a girl is sexually aroused, is it true that her breast size also increases?

Yes – but not enough for you to notice.

When any human being becomes sexually aroused, their heart rate increases as does blood flow to various tissues throughout the body.

Blood flow increases to the genitals in men, for example, which helps with penile erections and vaginal lubrication.

Blood flow also increases to the breast/chest area, which can lead to “sex flush” in some people, particularly fairer skinned people, in which red spotty areas are noticeable on the chest.

The breasts can also swell slightly with arousal.

Key word: slightly.

You should not be policing women’s bodies to see whether their breasts are ever so slightly fuller as a means of figuring out whether they’re feeling aroused.

A more reliable cue of their arousal is likely to be whether they are kissing you with passion or intensity or saying how much they like/love/want you or noticeable vaginal wetness.

With that being said, arousal does not equal consent and I cannot stress that enough.

Some people mistakenly look for signs of arousal as if those signs can tell a person whether or not their partner wants to have sex with them.

And that’s just not the case.

Even among highly sexually satisfied and sexually active couples, there are many times when a person may feel aroused or turned on but not feel like having sex.

Maybe they don’t want to have sex because they’re tired or mad or short on time.

They might not also want to have sex if they’re not ready.

It can’t be said enough times — the best way to be sure if someone wants to have sex with you, regardless of their gender, is to ask them.

Kinsey Confidential is a collaboration of The Kinsey Institute and the IU School of Public Health.

Dr. Debby Herbenick is an associate professor at IU and author of six books about sex including “The Coregasm Workout” and “Sex Made Easy.”

Find our blog and archived Q&A at KinseyConfidential.org.

Follow Dr. Herbenick on Twitter @DebbyHerbenick and Kinsey Confidential at @KinseyCon.