IU seniors swim for the final time at home on Saturday

Senior Grayson Smith swims the breaststroke leg of the 400 IM on Friday night at the Hoosierland Invitational.

Something that sticks out about IU’s swimmers and divers is their ability to face any challenge thrown their way.

Attending a full day of classes Friday before heading to Atlanta to compete Saturday might not have been the best idea last weekend, but they made it happen, IU Coach Ray Looze said.

This weekend, the Hoosiers have a much shorter commute. They will face in-state rival Purdue in IU’s home pool, the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center, for another Big Ten Conference matchup.

“We’re going up against Purdue this weekend,” Looze said. “That should be enough motivation on its own for us to want to perform well.”

The event is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. after recognition of IU’s senior swimmers and divers.

Out of 40 male swimmers, Curtis Goss, Tanner Kurz, Grayson Smith and John Winck are the only seniors.

On the women’s side, four of 32 swimmers and divers are seniors: Shelby Carroll, Lacey Houser, Haley Lips and Brooklynn Snodgrass, but only Lips and Snodgrass are 
graduating.

Lips, a freestyle swimmer from South Carolina, has been swimming in the same pool almost every day for four years.

“These four years at Indiana have meant everything to me,” Lips said. “It’s hard to imagine what college and even my life would be like without the sport. The structure and support of the team has made me the person I am today.”

Saturday will be a bittersweet ending for Lips and the other seniors who are participating in their last competitive meet at home.

“This has been the hardest working team I’ve been a part of,” Lips said. “They motivate me everyday to go out there and succeed. It will be exciting to watch this team continue to develop and succeed when I’m gone. It’s been such a unique 
experience.”

The Boilermakers are ranked No. 39 on the men’s side and No. 20 on the women’s. The IU men sit at No. 9 and the women at No. 14.

The IU men’s team has had two swimmers, sophomores Blake Pieroni and Ali Khalafalla, with Big Ten honors this season, but Purdue has also had swimmers recognized.

Boilermaker Joe Cifelli was named either Big Ten freshman or diver of the week five times since 
Oct. 21.

On the women’s side, IU freshmen Lilly King and Miranda Tucker have had Big Ten recognition, along with junior Gia Dalesandro and senior diver Lacey Houser.

Swimmers Allie Davis and Emily Fogle and diver Mary Beth Dunnichay have all had honors for Purdue as well.

“At this point, there won’t be any special preparation for Saturday,” Looze said. “We are at the point right now where we just have to deal with what we have and keep working towards our goals and hope we’re good enough.”

The Hoosiers ultimately have their sights set on becoming Big Ten champions, Lips said.

“Each practice and each meet is part of the countdown,” Lips said. “Every day is a chance to make yourself better and every day is a step closer to championships. We’ve put so much hard work behind us, but we’re not done yet.”