Indiana alcohol restrictions likely here to stay

Region filler image

Indiana is one of 12 states where one cannot purchase alcohol on a Sunday, one of eight states where bars and restaurants cannot hold alcoholic happy hours and is the only state that monitors the temperature of alcohol when sold.

Despite the apparent extremity of the state’s alcohol laws, it seems none of these rules are about to change.

Every year, there is a push in the legislature toward what Rep. Tom Dermody, R-LaPorte, describes as a “common sense approach to improvement in the alcohol industry.”

This year, Dermody is leading that push with House Bill 1386 and House Bill 1399.

The first, which the House Public Policy Committee will vote on Thursday, would allow bars and restaurants to offer happy hour specials as long as multiple drinks are not sold for the price of one.

Dermody said he is happy the topic will be discussed but admitted it is unlikely the measure will be passed due to the potential dangers that 
accompany happy hours.

“I think Indiana looks out to be protective of Hoosiers, especially when it comes to drinking alcohol,” he said. “There are a lot of concerns about enticing someone to drink a lot of 
alcohol in a short period of time.”

IU geography professor Daniel Knudsen, who teaches a course on the geography of food, said the happy hour is an American tradition that originated with the United States Navy during 
World War I.

He said instead of happy hours, many Indiana bars have adopted “happy days,” like $2 Tuesday.

“One could make the argument that this actually serves to decrease binge drinking,” Knudsen said. “It almost certainly spreads the alcohol consumption out over the 
entire evening.”

House Bill 1399, which the committee will vote on today, would allow stores to sell alcohol on Sundays.

“I believe in just trying to add that seventh day for the convenience of Hoosiers,” Dermody said. “It’s silly that you can do something on six days of the week that you can’t do on the seventh.”

This type of legislation is typically opposed by some religious groups in Indiana, Knudsen said.

“The other group of people who do not want alcohol sales to occur on Sunday are actually the liquor stores,” he said.

He explained because grocery stores are already open Sundays, the marginal costs of opening their liquor aisles is very small.

“But marginal costs for a large liquor store chain is actually quite high,” Knudsen said. “They are going to have to staff their stores on Sunday, when generally speaking most people wouldn’t buy as much alcohol on Sundays anyway. So they would be at a disadvantage.”

Dermody said this bill is also not likely to pass.