COLUMN: New Year, new me

“New year, new me.” The infamous last words of anyone hoping to make a change in the New Year.

Every Dec. 31, we write out a list of things we hope to do or change once we start a new calendar year.

And yet, every single year, we somehow manage to completely and quickly fail.

Gym memberships shoot up during the first week of the year and drop rapidly to just the regulars by the end of the month.

Those vowing to not eat sugar again have a candy bar before they even try to stop themselves.

So really, what’s the secret to staying on our resolutions? How can we actually make the changes we planned on?

I believe that accountability and purpose are the keys to success.

If you screw up your resolution, there are absolutely no consequences to you besides disappointment and $20 blown on a month-long gym 
membership.

There’s nothing stopping you from just 
giving up.

I’ve struggled with my weight for a long time.

Every January, I swear it will be different. And like everyone else, I don’t make it more than a month before giving up and binge eating.

However, I’ve only been motivated by wanting to look better.

I’ve never held myself responsible for throwing in the towel.

This year was different.

First, I put no emphasis on the “New Year.” Time is irrelevant.

I started in mid-
December.

Then, I got serious with myself. I realized if I didn’t start now, I never would.

I looked at the bigger picture (no pun intended) and realized my heath is an investment that will pay off.

I deserve to live healthier and enjoy being young. Getting in shape will help me to achieve this.

Boom, I found my purpose.

Next came accountability. I needed to make sure that, no matter what, I would not give up out of laziness, stubbornness or any other petty reason. I blew some money. I spent a decent chunk of change on building my new diet, workout clothes, water bottles—you name it.

As a tightwad college student, spending money is painful to begin with. And that’s how I found my accountability; I know I won’t allow myself to give up because it’d be a waste of my hard earned cash.

And I’m still working hard, not just to lose weight, but to change my life.

Of course, I still pigged out at Christmas, and I occasionally have my bad days. But when I do, I keep in mind my purpose and accountability. I get on track again.

While this is just my experience, I think it can really work for everyone truly hoping to make a change. Find your motivators and your responsibilities. Maybe you’re motivated by money, looking good or even living longer. Perhaps your responsibility is your family, and you want to work on saving money for their wellbeing.

Overall, resolutions can be a great thing, but they’re not as simple as they’re made out to be. It does take effort to make it happen.