Defunding Planned Parenthood bill passes in Senate

Local and regional Planned Parenthood supporters have responded with frustration to the Senate’s passage of a bill to partially defund the organization.

The bill, which passed through the Senate last week, will halt federal funds to the Planned Parenthood Federation of America Inc. and any affiliates for one year unless they certify that the affiliates and clinics will not perform abortions or provide funding for them.

According to the bill, that restriction will not be applied in cases of rape or incest or when a “physical condition endangers a woman’s life unless an abortion is performed.”

Reports mostly agree that President Obama will veto it once it reaches his desk. As the bill does not appear to have the two-thirds support in Congress it would need to override the veto, it will likely not become law.

The Planned Parenthood Health Center in Bloomington does not rely on federal funds and would not be affected. However, six other health centers in Indiana and two more in Kentucky use Title X funds.

“Regardless of what happens with government funding, we will continue to operate as normal since it is such a small percentage of our overall revenue,” said Judi Morrison, Planned Parenthood’s vice president of marketing and education, in an email. “Donors and foundations could likely help fill the gap. People tend to step up and help us even more when funding is taken away.”

Title X funds support national family planning services and related preventative health care.

Wanda Savala, the community engagement coordinator for Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky, said in an email that the bill, if enacted, will “eliminate Planned Parenthood’s ability to receive reimbursement for the health care services provided under the Medicaid program and would roll back the important and historic gains made for women’s health by the Affordable Care Act.”

If the bill were enacted it could prevent Planned Parenthood from receiving Medicaid funds for preventive health care, Savala said. Patients’ Medicaid coverage would then not be valid at their health centers.

Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky released a reminder that their health centers helped about 15,000 patients last year and gave nearly 75,000 contraceptives.

The statement referenced the 2013 closure of a Planned Parenthood center in Scott County, which is now experiencing high HIV rates.

Susan Sandberg, the Bloomington Common Council’s at-large representative, supported the city’s resolution, which passed in October, to support local Planned Parenthood clinics.

Sandberg said in an email that Congress would be in effect defunding preventive health services essential for low-income individuals

“I strongly oppose the Senate action as short-sighted and harmful to women and low-income constituents.”