COLUMN: Giving Tuesday: the trend that gives back

After giving in to Black Friday blowouts and Cyber Monday markdowns, fashion icons around the world have decided to give back.

The newest trend in holiday season shopping: Giving Tuesday.

Designers around the world shared their passions this week by supporting causes they care about. From incorporating their merchandise to fundraise for organizations or generating social media posts to raise awareness for global issues, they showed a year of radical change among some of fashion’s biggest names.

Victoria Beckham commemorated World Aids Day, which also fell on Giving Tuesday. She designed a T-shirt and keychain with red ribbons to assist the initiatives and organizations supported by UNAIDS. The shirt, purchased by Eva Longoria and Rachel Zoe, is on sale for $140 and is available at victoriabeckham.com. All of the proceeds are donated to UNAIDS.

As international goodwill ambassador of UNAIDS, Beckham was probably surmised to make a notable difference on Tuesday.

JC Penney pledged to donate $100,000 to the Boys & Girls Club, an organization that empowers children to be responsible and caring citizens through education, career and leadership programs. The company also brought in Dwight Howard and Joe Jonas to their Brooklyn store for meet-and-greets. Jonas surprised some of the children with a shopping spree in the store.

Giving Tuesday is an opportunity for everyone to get involved — through organizations big and small.

Darren Tieste, renowned celebrity photographer and author of “The Beauty Book for Brain Cancer,” released his second edition of the book Tuesday and with it spread awareness of brain cancer. With photographs of some of fashion’s biggest names and faces — including Miranda Kerr, Eva Longoria and Kim Kardashian — the book is bound to make some noise.

The book’s royalties will support Headrush and Sydney Neurology Oncology Group, initiatives for research and cancer-related therapies.

Sarah Hyland, Lucy Hale and Olivia Palermo are just a few of the celebrities who posted about the book. All three posted “in honor of @givingtuesday, give the gift of giving this holiday season. By purchasing @beautybookforbraincancer by @DarrenTieste, you’re joining me in supporting brain cancer research and awareness” on Instagram.

Supermodel Cindy Crawford celebrated Giving Tuesday by supporting University of Wisconsin Health, where her brother was treated for leukemia more than 40 years ago. She posted on Instagram “#GivingTuesday to a cause closest to my heart ... Remarkable care and research. You pray you never need a place like that, but are so grateful it’s there if you do.”

Katie Couric also took her generosity to Instagram. The journalist and former talk show host donated dozens of old shoes to Dress for Success, a nonprofit that provides interview suits, confidence boosts and career development to low-income women in more than 75 cities.

Though this official day of giving has already passed, there are still ways to get involved with local organizations to support causes we care about.

As we all know, trends come and go, so why not donate old sweaters and dresses we don’t wear anymore?

The Salvation Army, located on Rogers Street, is a great place to donate clothing, furniture and household goods, and it accepts clothing of all sizes, styles and names.

The Middle Way House on Washington Street is an organization that works to end violence in communities around the country. They provide shelter and a safe transition for women and children. There are also opportunities to donate clothing.

It’s often easy to become caught up in day-to-day activities and studies, but taking the time to give back is always a great investment. The best accessory to looking good is doing good, too.