Two Veterans Day events show appreciation

Two free Veterans Day events Wednesday will show support for former soldiers in Bloomington.

Gordon Kirk, the second vice commander for Post 18 of the American Legion, helped organize the memorial 
service.

Members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion, two veterans’ associations that work with military legislation, nonprofits and community volunteerism, as well as AMVETS, a service program to help veterans, will be present, Kirk said.

Kirk said young people without a connection to Bloomington’s veterans could attend “to get an understanding of the price of our freedom — the freedom we all share in America.”

The service begins at 10 a.m. at the Monroe County Courthouse, Kirk said, with opening remarks by master of ceremonies Turner Nolan of the American Legion.

After the National Anthem and pledge are performed, the organizers will lower the flag to half-mast.

The service will recognize prisoners of war from World War II, Kirk said, as well as the Korean War.

A tolling of the bell will also honor each veteran who has died in the past year with a ceremonial ringing for each name, Kirk said.

At 11 a.m., a gun salute will honor those veterans, Kirk said. They will also play “Taps” and present memorial wreaths to military 
representatives.

The ceremony will conclude with a list of places that offer meals to veterans during the holiday, Kirk said, after which the group will return to Post 18 on West Third Street for ham and beans.

At 6 p.m., the Veterans Day Ceremony will begin at the Monroe County Fairgrounds.

Volunteer executive board secretary Tonya Clark said the musical ceremony will only last about 30 minutes.

She said the event was a way for people “to come out and support and understand and appreciate the sacrifices that our service people made so we can do this (event).”

The Kiwanis Club of South Central Indiana will attend the fairgrounds event, as will the current Miss Monroe County, Clark said.

The Bloomington Brass Band and Grandview Elementary School’s children’s choir will perform patriotic selections for most of the event.

“I think it’s important for the younger kids to understand why we have Veterans Day and to participate,” Clark said.

The event is free and open to the public.