sports field hockey

Terps win conference tournament played in Bloomington

The Maryland Terrapins claimed their first Big Ten tournament title in program history Sunday when they defeated Michigan in the championship game, 5-1, at the IU Field Hockey Complex. The Terrapins were led by senior forward Welma Luus, who netted four goals in the championship and seven in the entire tournament, leading her to be named tournament MVP.

Maryland backed up its undefeated conference regular season by running the table in the tournament behind its No. 1 overall seed. No. 2 Michigan had battled into a double overtime contest in the quarterfinals against No. 7 Iowa, then had a dramatic comeback against No. 6 Penn State in the semifinals after scoring the equalizer with 50 seconds remaining and winning in overtime.

Two hours before the title game, the Big Ten handed down a one-game suspension to Michigan sophomore goalkeeper Sam Swenson for violating sportsmanship rules when she intentionally struck a Penn State player with her stick. Swenson ranked second in the nation in goals-against average (0.76) and saves percentage (0.833), earning her a spot on the First Team All-Big Ten list. The Wolverines were forced to start redshirt junior goalkeeper Chris Lueb on short notice, leading to the Terrapins’ offensive outburst.

During Maryland’s second season in the Big Ten, it has won two regular season titles and now one tournament championship. Luus tied the conference record for most goals in a game and broke the record for most goals in a Big Ten tournament.

Luus headlined the All-Tournament team joined by IU sophomore forward Maddie Latino after she scored the one goal in the Hoosiers’ 3-1 loss to Penn State in the quarterfinals.