sports volleyball

IU swept in three sets at Wisconsin

IU volleyball returned home with its second loss of the week after being shut out on the road by No. 12 
Wisconsin.

The Hoosiers (13-11) fell to the Badgers in a three-set sweep in Madison, 
Wisconsin, on Sunday.

“I felt like today we lacked in motivation to play against the No. 12 team in the country,” IU Coach Sherry Dunbar-Kruzan said. “I don’t know where it came from. I felt like we understood Wisconsin, but we just didn’t execute the game plan at all.”

That lack of execution began in the first set of the match when IU fell behind while Wisconsin (16-6) took a 10-point lead all the way to the set point. IU scored a kill during the set point, but a service error by junior outside hitter Taylor Lebo gave Wisconsin the final point to end the set 25-16.

Elizabeth Asdell started the second set with a kill for the Hoosiers to lead the Badgers 3-1. The Hoosiers continued to keep their pace, staying within a one-point margin until the Badgers pulled away and took the set 25-17.

“Their setter is maybe the best setter in the country who is very difficult to read, which was hard for our blockers,” Dunbar-Kruzan said. “They play with a lot of confidence, and they play with a great fight defensively, which can frustrate teams.”

Wisconsin took a 7-1 lead in the third set, which forced IU to call a timeout. IU came back out onto the court with more energy, allowing them to score some points and close the deficit.

“Timeouts are supposed to be a chance to change strategy,” Dunbar-Kruzan said. “I felt like I had to motivate instead of coach, but it’s their job to motivate themselves and we’re there to coach.”

The Hoosiers came back to close the six-point gap by taking the next four points. Eight errors committed by the Hoosiers assisted the Badgers to close out the third set 25-12 sweeping the 
Hoosiers, 3-0.

“We need to look at ourselves and wonder why we didn’t win this match,” Dunbar-Kruzan said. “You have to know how to handle teams like this but you also need to put in the work for those situations.”

IU plans to get back into practice Monday and Tuesday with self-reflection and more preparation for its midweek matchup against Iowa.

Junior middle blocker Jazzmine McDonald said for the upcoming week she is going to be focused on being more available on offense, as well as increasing her block defense capabilities.

McDonald also said the Hoosiers agreed they want to come out this week with more passion and fire for their match Wednesday against Iowa.

“Executing our jobs when we come together allows us to be one cohesive, strong, smart-playing volleyball team,” McDonald said. “I think it’s hard to put an answer on why we lost, but Iowa is good and they’re going to be fast, so it’s on us to play good volleyball and look for that win we need.”