COLUMN: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: Take it lightly

The Victoria’s Secret Fashion show is the most watched and hyped fashion show of the year.

The show features, arguably, the sexiest women in the world modeling the most decorated undergarments in the fashion industry.

On Tuesday, Nov. 10, the show was filmed in New York City’s Lexington Avenue Armory in front of a live audience. Before every show, top music artists who resonate with the Victoria’s Secret brand are asked to perform — this year, they were Selena Gomez, Ellie Goulding and the Weeknd.

The show will be broadcast in 192 countries and watched by more than 10 million people Dec. 8.

A great deal of hype surrounds this show year after year. Victoria’s Secret allocates about 11 percent of their budget for their advertising campaign. They sell more than a bra — rather, a feeling of admiration to their customers.

However, it is important to consider these models live to maintain an unrealistic figure. Some of it comes naturally — they do not measure 5’9” and taller because of exercise — but the rest comes from a strict diet regime and agents who monitor their health habits.

Before last year’s show, a group of women in New York walked the runway in an “Anti-Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show” to demonstrate “real ‘perfect’ bodies.” Women sizes 0 to 16 to pregnant walked the show in a range of intimate apparel brands.

Statements of image idealization and manipulating the thoughts of young girls are important, but sometimes those issues can be taken lightly.

Take it with a grain of salt, but the social media of these models has only shown their excitement and determination to get into shape and prepare for this particular show. Many express it as an honor.

Every year, the models take a photo in front of the Victoria’s Secret Class of Year X sign. They are always smiling, laughing and cheering. It seems like some great friendships come out of working to achieve a common goal: looking great in a bra.

The fashion industry’s most elite models have been part of the Victoria’s Secret campaign for many years. They include Alessandra Ambrosio, Adriana Lima, Lily Aldridge and Joan Smalls, now alongside newest additions Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid.

The introduction of the fashion industry’s favorite new models is one that is sure to benefit Victoria’s Secret.

Together, Jenner and Hadid have 50 million followers on Instagram who will now be more inclined to watch the show, be exposed to Victoria’s Secret’s advertisements and purchase items in stores.

As shallow as the show seems to some, it is similar to how many women work in groups on campus. Students work in sororities and organization committees to achieve a common goal, and they develop friendships and memories that lead them to return the next year — just like Alessandra Ambrosio, who has walked the show for 10 years, one of them while she was pregant with her second child.

We “normal” girls might as well embrace our bodies and flip on the television with a bowl of ice cream and a side of popcorn.

If you can take the show lightly, it is a fun event to watch. There are always bright lights, loud music and celebrities dancing in the crowd. Instead of wondering why we don’t look like these ‘perfect’ women, we should accept our figures and let loose — on the couch.