COLUMN: Choosing family over Black Friday

Though many people have started planning their Thanksgiving dinners earlier each year to accommodate Black Friday sales beginning at about 4 p.m. Thursday, I have to ask myself, is it worth it?

The answer is no.

Until recently, Black Friday would begin at midnight Friday or early in the morning and sales would often extend through the 
weekend.

Now it seems like the unofficial holiday that kicks off the Christmas season is extending through the entire week.

I visited the mall in my hometown last Monday and discovered Charlotte Russe was already offering a sale where everything in the store was $20 or less.

By Wednesday, everything at Old Navy was half off.

In fact, similar sales began early in the week at many stores.

So why rush out early on valuable family time during Thanksgiving just to snag a few deals?

Black Friday is the most ironic day of the year. Hours after being thankful for what you already have, people are expected to rush out and spend money because apparently what they already have is not enough.

Also, shouldn’t we be outraged that the holiday shows us just how overpriced everything is every other day of the year?

I used to be enticed by the idea of Black Friday, until I went away for college.

Now I am thankful for every bit of time I get to spend with family and would not trade it for any amount of sales.

Especially considering I can apparently get similar deals almost a week early.

It might sound cheesy, but as I get older, I’m 
starting to realize what is truly 
important to be thankful for on Thanksgiving.

This year more than ever, I’m going into the holiday season thankful for my family, my health and the many opportunities I have been afforded more than 
anything money could buy.

I’m not saying it’s wrong to enjoy Black Friday shopping or giving and receiving gifts during the holidays. I’m saying there is a much more important reason for the season that sometimes seems to be forgotten to commercialization: 
gratitude.

Take time this holiday season to appreciate how fortunate you are.

Fortunate that you have a roof over your head, food on the table and that you are at IU.

When it comes down to it, those are the things that are important.

Not that you got 90 
percent off at Victoria’s Secret. Congratulations, you still paid more than those panties are worth.

Don’t just buy into the idea of Black Friday rather than precious family time.

You are losing out on something much more valuable and time you will never get back.

Not to mention that you going shopping on Thanksgiving means that someone else is missing out on time with their loved ones in order to serve you.

The deals might seem like they are worth it in the moment, but in the end, it’s a lose-lose situation for 
everyone.