football

Sudfeld, Hoosiers off to best start since 1990

In his second year as quarterback, Sudfeld has proven to be a leader

spIUfb

When Nate Sudfeld was down after a sack in Iowa last season, so were IU’s 2014 Bowl hopes.

Sudfeld came up reaching for his left shoulder, his non-throwing shoulder, and he did not return while his teammates battled the Hawkeyes in a 45-29 loss.

Prior to the 2014 season, with Tevin Coleman and D’Angelo Roberts at running back, Shane Wynn, J-Shun Harris and Nick Stoner at receiver and a defense that was anticipating improving from its place in the Big Ten basement in 2013, the Hoosiers’ hopes for a Bowl game were high.

They had not reached a Bowl game since 2007.

But when it was announced that Sudfeld needed surgery on his shoulder, IU coaches searched for an answer for the quarterback 
position to no avail.

After going 3-2 with Sudfeld, IU lost its next six games without him, only winning its season finale against Purdue, to go 4-8 on the season with freshman Zander Diamont at quarterback.

Even though he was on the sidelines for last half of the season, Sudfeld didn’t isolate himself from the program.

He said he helped Diamont and the offense with their reads and gave his opinions on game plans heading into each week.

“I’ve used it to help me develop as a leader and being more 
studious,” Sudfeld said.

That was the story about the senior quarterback coming into 2015: how he had developed as a leader.

“I’d say his biggest improvement coming into the season is his leadership,” IU offensive coordinator Kevin Johns said. “At practice he’s getting on guys and telling us what he sees and what he wants to see, developing that chemistry with the receivers and tight ends.”

In an offseason that featured a Uganda mission trip, a stint at the Manning Academy, speaking at the Big Ten Media Days on behalf of his team and conference and being nominated for the Maxwell Award, which honors the top college football athlete in a season, Sudfeld said that all of those events aided in his improved leadership.

But it wasn’t until the practice week before the Hoosiers’ season opener against Southern Illinois that Sudfeld’s excitement boiled over in a Monday press conference.

“I’m stoked,” Sudfeld said. “I can’t wait to actually get out there and put the pads on. It’s been a long time coming. You can simulate it as much as you want in spring ball or fall camp, but until you’re actually live, you kind of have that itch to be out there in the full flow of the game.”

As the Hoosiers took the field and blocked an early SIU field goal to start their defensive season, Sudfeld got his first opportunity to throw on IU’s third play of its 
opening drive.

It was a completion to junior receiver Mitchell Paige for 11 yards.

In fact, Sudfeld went three-for-three for 30 yards en route to a touchdown by sophomore running back Devine Redding.

“It felt good,” Sudfeld said after the game. “There were some nerves at first. But after that first hit, I felt good. The body felt good, and I didn’t feel rusty at all. I felt in the flow of the game.”

As IU delves deeper into its second consecutive Bowl-hopeful season, Sudfeld has only been sacked three times in four games, keeping his shoulder healthy and getting good looks throughout the majority of his 126 pass attempts.

With help from his experienced offensive line — consisting of two seniors and two juniors — and with junior nationally-leading running back Jordan Howard in the backfield carrying the ball 111 times for 675 yards, Sudfeld has led IU past SIU, Florida International, top-30 Western Kentucky and the ACC’s Wake Forest through the entirety of its nonconference schedule without a loss.

The Hoosiers stand at 4-0 for the first time since 1990.

They are two games shy of Bowl eligibility as they prepare for eight Big Ten games, including their first conference opponent, the defending-champion Ohio State, Saturday.

Hitting junior receiver Ricky Jones 18 times for 411 yards (15th in the nation) and sophomore receiver Simmie Cobbs 17 times for 244 yards, Sudfeld leads the Big Ten in yards per pass attempt (9.1), and is second in the conference in passing yards (1143), touchdowns (7) and passer rating (154.1).

His touchdown-to-interception ratio (7:1) is also second in the conference, behind Michigan State senior quarterback Connor Cook (9:1).

“It’s his sense of urgency,” Johns said about Sudfeld’s mindset this season. “It’s the fact that, ‘I’m running out of time. I lost half my junior season, and now I have 12 guaranteed games left.’ He’s way better than he’s ever been.”

TOP MATCHUPS

vs Ohio State 

3:30 p.m., Oct. 3, Memorial Stadium, Bloomington

With the Hoosiers winning their first four games, No. 1 ranked, defending national champion Ohio State comes to town with its second-year coach Urban Meyer and three-pronged attack at quarterback in Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones and JT Barrett. IU is a heavy underdog in this game, but with weaknesses shown by Ohio State early in the season, there’s a chance IU pulls off a big upset at home. 

vs Michigan

Nov. 14, Memorial Stadium, Bloomington

The Wolverines appeared to be experiencing growing pains under first-year coach Jim Harbaugh. They lost to Utah 24-17, but with recent victories over Oregon State and No. 22 Bringham Young University, Michigan looks to be a force to be reckoned with heading into conference play. 

at Purdue

Nov. 28, Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, Indiana

Needing two games to clinch Bowl eligibility and playing an Oct. 17 game against a struggling Rutgers squad, the Hoosiers could find their sixth victory in West Lafayette, if they have not found it earlier.

rlehman@indiana.edu | @trlehman_IDS