Students run Nearly Naked Mile for a cause

Nearly Naked Mile

A group of runners wearing far less clothing than usual meet in Dunn Meadow and race around campus Wednesday night of Homecoming week each year.

The homecoming tradition of the Nearly Naked Mile is in its eighth year, said Mike Mann, director of alumni programs with the IU Alumni Association and one of the event’s 
organizers.

“It’s a fun event, and just a really good way to kick things off for homecoming,” Mann said.

But the event is for more than just fun, Mann said. To register, students can either donate $10 or two items of clothing. In 2014, the run raised $2,528.

These donations go to United Way of Monroe County, one of 1,200 local United Way 
offices.

United Way is a nonprofit organization that focuses on advancing education, income and health in communities around the 
country.

The initial idea behind the Nearly Naked Mile was running without a shirt to symbolize a clothing donation, said Angel Flowers, program advisor for the Union Board.

“Its purpose really is a philanthropic event, and so we’re trying to get it back on track with that mission,” Flowers said.

Part of this effort involves bringing a representative from United Way to speak to participants after the run.

The Union Board and the IU Alumni Association have begun to coordinate the event together in the last few years, Flowers said.

“We wanted to start doing more student-related activities and we wanted to be able to give the event greater purpose,” 
Mann said.

The run begins in Dunn Meadow, takes students around Showalter Fountain and finishes at the 
Sample Gates.

The event also features live music, with the band 800 lb Gorilla playing in Dunn Meadow after the run this year.

Student organizations, including Culture of Care and OASIS, set up tables and activities after the run.

“We realize that when students are running nearly bare, it’s important to make sure people feel comfortable and safe,” Mann said. “We want to be a responsible organization and pick good campus partners.”

It was not expected to become so popular, Flowers said.

The run is now part of the IU Bucket List the Office of First Year Experiences gives to new students.

“Part of it has to do with it being during Homecoming week, which really pulls the student body together and unifies them,” Flowers said. “And another thing is that it’s just one mile. It’s super simple, which makes it more fun for people.”

This year, a points system was introduced for students and the organizations they represent to make the run more competitive, 
Mann said.

“We really want students to get into it,” Flowers said. “It’s become such a big IU tradition, and what student wouldn’t want to be a part of that?”