Philharmonic orchestra to perform at Jacobs

Guest conductor Paul Nadler will lead the Philharmonic Orchestra in a performance at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the MAC. Nadler recently conducted Jacobs' production of "The Barber of Seville."

The Philharmonic Orchestra is the most accomplished orchestra in the Jacobs School of Music, guest conductor Paul Nadler said. They bring enthusiasm and skill to the repertoire of 
today’s concert.

“They are responsive to the music in a way that a professional orchestra sometimes isn’t,” Nadler said.

The Philharmonic Orchestra will perform at 8 p.m. today in the Musical Arts Center. The concert features Nadler and pianist Andreas Ioannides.

The repertoire includes Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s “Piano Concerto No. 25 in C Major, K.503” and Gustav Mahler’s “Symphony No. 5.”

Nadler is a symphonic and operatic conductor who has led orchestras and operas around the world.

He has led the Metropolitan Opera in more than 60 performances since 1989. He is the founder of the Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra and co-founder and music director of the International Vocal Arts Institute.

This fall, Nadler conducted the music school’s production of “The Barber of Seville.”

Ioannides, a doctoral student in the music school, will play the Mozart piece with the orchestra. He is the winner of the Mozart Piano Concerto Competition.

Ioannides is from Cyprus and received his college education in the United States at the Cincinnati College-Conservatory, the Eastman School of Music and the University of North Texas. He has performed throughout Europe and North America.

In February 2015, Ioannides represented the music school in the Conservatory Project concert series in a performance at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.

“Piano Concerto No. 25 in C Major, K.503” is a great piece because it is joyful and majestic, Ioannides said.

“It puts a smile on my face,” he said.

Ioannides said one of the challenges of the piece is to play Mozart’s work beautifully and naturally, but its jovial quality makes it easier to perform.

“It feels like when you are playing such a perfect piece, you don’t want to mar it with your imperfections,” he said.

The concert concludes with Mahler’s symphony. The music gives the students the chance to play very difficult music, Nadler said.

It is a monumental symphony that demonstrates a revolution in Mahler’s composition style, Nadler said.

“It fits together like a mosaic,” he said. “There’s a lot of interweaving of music.”

Nadler said Mahler’s symphony is highly emotional and the first movement is a funeral march.

The movement called “Adagietto” is a love song from Mahler to the woman who would become his wife.

“Adagietto” is slow, expressive and beautiful, Nadler said, adding he is impressed by Ioannides’ musical ability.

“He’s wonderful,” Nadler said. “He is consistent and plays beautifully. It’s been fun getting to know him.”

Ioannides said he has liked working with Nadler and the Philharmonic 
Orchestra.

“Everybody wants to make it a good experience,” Ioannides said.