IU takes on last-place Wisconsin

Freshman Austin Panchot gets ready to strike during the game with University of Michigan on Saturday night. IU won the game 1-0.

IU’s match against Wisconsin at Bill Armstrong Stadium marks its last home conference game of the season before the Big Ten tournament begins Nov. 8.

“We not only want to win because it’s the only last home game of the season — a win would also improve our (Big Ten) standings and RPI, and that could possibly result in some home games for our postseason,” IU junior midfielder Tanner 
Thompson said.

Wisconsin is the second team in a run of three Big Ten games for IU, who won the first of those three matches last Saturday when it beat Michigan 1-0.

A win Saturday could see the Hoosiers climb the Big Ten standings and simultaneously earn a better seeding for the Big Ten tournament.

The Hoosiers no longer occupy the bottom spot of the conference standings, a spot now filled by Wisconsin, whom IU will face Saturday.

The Badgers have six points and have only won one game and drawn three others. They also have the lowest overall RPI in the Big Ten with .344; however, the last time the Hoosiers beat the Badgers was in 2012.

The Hoosiers lost their 2013 matchup 4-3 and tied the Badgers 2-2 last year.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley said he is not underestimating the task at hand as he said he believes records can be misleading.

“It’s going to be a tough game,” Yeagley said. “They are going to be much better than what the records suggest because there have been some close games.”

To Yeagley, every Big Ten team presents a different threat, and Wisconsin will be a different challenge compared to what IU faced against Michigan on Saturday.

Michigan had a pacey forward line, and, though the Badgers may not have similar terms of pace, they make it up with a number of big guys.

“They’re a team that has some big guys, they’re physical, but they’re fair,” Yeagley said. “However, we too have some big guys and are not afraid of a physical game either, and I think it’s important when it comes to establishing the hold on the game.”

Because this is the last home game of the regular season, Yeagley said he is also looking at some of his senior players to put in a good shift and he thinks he can expect a good 
performance from them.

Thompson, who scored in last year’s tie against Wisconsin, said he believes IU has a chance of winning as long as it wins the 
physical battles.

“I think if we match (Wisconsin’s physicality) we can come out on top in the game,” Thompson said.

IU plays one more game at Michigan State before the end of the regular 
season.