sports volleyball

Hoosiers return home to end four-game skid

Senior Taylor Lebo prepares for the ball to go into play in the game against Purdue on Oct. 7. The Hoosiers lost 0-3.

Going into its Big Ten season, IU volleyball made it a goal to split weekends and bring home at least one win.

Now it enters mid-season with four straight losses and a desire to end that streak.

“Every game is important,” IU Coach Sherry Dunbar-Kruzan said. “I think we’re going to look back at last weekend and that Ohio State match, but we’re staying on what we can do right now. We had a goal, and we haven’t done that lately so we’re back on it. You can’t lose it just because you don’t do it. I think this team can do it.”

IU will remain at home to play its next two Big Ten opponents of the season, No. 18 Illinois and Northwestern.

Sophomore outside hitter Jessica Leish said the players have been working on things including staying focused, increasing energy, taking as many swings as they can, getting their feet to the ball every time and looking for deep 
corner shots during practice.

“These are two opportunities to find two wins that we really need,” Leish said. “We have a lot of stuff to accomplish during practice this week. I’m not so much thinking about Illinois or Northwestern, but I’m thinking about what I can do in 
practice to prepare for the game.”

Self-reflection and accountability have been a main focus for the players this week — the main focus for each and every one of the players.

One of the reasons Dunbar-Kruzan thinks the team was able to play at such a higher level against Ohio State last weekend was by focusing on personal accountability.

“That’s why we did so much better against Ohio State, because we just focused on us.” Dunbar-Kruzan said. “Be accountable for yourself to being better right now, and in turn the team will get better. That’s a big key, whether it’s feet, communication or block speed. It’s yourself being accountable to what we’re doing in practice.”

Leish said if the Hoosiers stay on this process of working hard and focusing on personal accountability, she believes they will find success and come out with some wins.

Looking at these matchups with Illinois and Northwestern, there are some key differences according to Leish, such as Illinois’ being a much taller and bigger team. Although this is a challenge, the Hoosiers make up for their size with their speed and risk taking.

“I think everyone has their strengths and weaknesses in this conference,” Dunbar-Kruzan said. “There are a lot of great athletes, volleyball players and coaches. The Big Ten is all about who is ready to come out and play that night. Is Illinois going to play their best match? I don’t know, but we’re not going to wait to find out. We have to put our best out there and find what it takes to beat them.”