COLUMN: Utilize Israel as U.S. ally

Secretary of State John Kerry reiterated the United States’ commitment to positive relations with Israel during his recent visit to campus, and it’s time we recognize our reasons for backing Israel by engaging in a secular discussion about our general 
relationship.

First, supporting Israel is essential because of its regional position. The Middle East has been an area of interest for the U.S. for decades. Throughout the region, Israel helps counter the regional rivals that America has, 
namely Iran.

Even with the Iran Deal — the jury is still out on that one — nullifying Iran’s nuclear capability for the time being, Iran has the capability of becoming a significant policy issue for the U.S.

With economic sanctions placed on Iranian commerce being lifted, billions of dollars will be released into the Iranian economy. Coincidentally, Iran is also the “most active state sponsor of terrorism” in the world, according to the Council on Foreign Relations.

To add to the problem, the Iranian supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, shouted a phrase that roughly translates to “death to America” at a rally in Tehran in March of this year.

Iran clearly cannot be trusted to comply fully with the terms of the deal. In the event that Iran does comply, it must be noted that its supreme leader is speaking against the U.S.

Even if Iran’s nuclear threat is neutralized, it certainly has the ability to be a thorn in the side of American diplomacy for years to come, whether in the form of action against the U.S. or against 
Israel.

In addition, Israel shares a border with Syria, which is currently going through a bloody civil war. Having an ally close to that international debacle could be key to the American approach to that situation, especially with Russia supporting the 
oppressive Assad regime.

Not only does Israel’s location allow the U.S. to check Iran, but it also allows the U.S. to check Russian interests and power in the region.

Another factor to take into consideration in Israel is the only democratic state — by American standards — in the Middle East.

Supporting Israel is simply smart diplomacy. Because they are our allies in a region of the world dominated by precarious governments, they are a key asset to American policy.

Israel is a state with free elections and a stable government. Due to Israel’s stability and heightened security measures, they have an excellent intelligence network, which works hand in hand with the American 
intelligence institutions.

It’s necessary that the U.S. supports Israel for its own foreign policy, even with U.S. policy evolving, especially in the Middle East, Israel has been a bastion of democracy for decades and will continue to be for the foreseeable 
future.

In a region where the major powers of the world are converging, their differing interests mean American support for Israel is of utmost importance and vice versa. With Iran’s supreme leader chanting “Death to America” and the mess in Syria, a stellar ally in the Middle East is wildly important for the U.S.

From a secular point of view, a strong relationship with Israel is necessary for the U.S. interests in the 
region.