sports women's soccer

Women's soccer travels to Notre Dame

The IU women’s soccer team looks to prove that it’s Indiana’s best this weekend.

Coming off a 4-0 loss at Louisiana State University , the Hoosiers look to rebound against two in-state rivals, Notre Dame and Ball State. The Hoosiers psyche is optimistic as they move on from a shutout in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

“We’ve already touched on it a lot,” IU Coach Amy Berbary said. “We’ve looked at film, we’ll watch the mistakes we made and the good things we did from the LSU game tonight after training. I think our kids have done a good job of moving on.”

The Hoosiers continue their road trip Friday after having played two road games in West Lafayette, Indiana, and Baton Rouge, respectively.

IU plays Notre Dame at 7 p.m. Friday in South Bend, Indiana. The Fighting Irish boast an impressive team that will give the Hoosiers’ typically stout defense a test.

“They’re a very good attacking team,” Berbary said. “Very good possession style and they have some really prolific players in their front five. So we’re going to have make sure that we’re organized defensively, and when we do get possession of the ball, make sure to take care of it and make our chances count.”

IU then returns home to face Ball State at 5:30 p.m. Sunday at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Ball State poses another challenge to IU from a raw talent standpoint.

“Ball State is a very, very hardworking, strong, athletic team,” Berbary said. “They knock the ball around pretty well, and they’ve actually had some really good results so far. And of course there is always going to be that in-state rivalry between the two teams.”

The Hoosiers are excited about the in-state competition, Berbary said.

“It makes for a really good rivalry between the three schools,” she said. “All of our kids from Indiana that are on our roster are going to be extra pumped. So I think it’s going to be a great weekend for us.”

Berbary understands IU’s schedule would inevitably pose challenges with the caliber of the team’s opponents.

“We’ve put together the toughest schedule that these kids have seen in their careers,” Berbary said. “So it wasn’t any secret that we were going to have a couple of losses. The question is, how does this team grow?”