Soprano to sing in IU Auditorium recital

Audiences will hear an unusually unembellished version of the opera when soprano Angela Gheorghiu sings in recital Wednesday night.

International opera star Gheorghiu will perform songs from her 23-year career at 8 p.m. in the IU 
Auditorium.

Maria Talbert, the IU Auditorium’s managing director, said in an email to the IDS that, as a part of the IU Auditorium’s 75th season, Gheorghiu’s performance will “pay homage to the early days of the Auditorium, when (the building) frequently housed touring presentations from the Metropolitan Opera.”

Gheorghiu has performed onstage at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York as well as at the London Royal Opera House and Vienna State Opera.

Talbert said her performance will help to “evoke memories from the Auditorium’s long history as a presenter of world-class arts and entertainment.”

The set list features multiple works by Italian composers Vincenzo Bellini, Giacomo Puccini and 
Francesco Paolo Tosti.

“Ms. Gheorghiu’s work is renowned in the worlds of opera and classical voice,” Talbert said. “And her name is on a very short and very elite list of female vocalists who have transcended the genre to become famous throughout the world.”

Pianist Jeff Cohen will accompany Gheorghiu in Wednesday’s recital.

On Tuesday, he coordinated a professional discussion with Jacobs School of Music students and later led a master class with 
vocal performers.

“I take into account that master classes are ... not a private class, but also not a concert, though they are in a concert setting,” Cohen said before the master class. “I guess mainly that I hope I can inspire them ... and have a 
connection.”

Cohen’s discussion and master class should provide practical experience to IU music students that they can use in other artistic and professional pursuits, Talbert said.

Talbert said the IU Auditorium expects a roughly even split between students and community members who will attend the recital.

Tickets will be available at the IU Auditorium box office or iuauditorium.com until the performance at 8 p.m. 
Wednesday.

Cohen said he first met Gheorghiu around 2000 and has worked with her several times in the 15 or so years since they became acquainted.

“It’s an incredible honor to be onstage with her,” Cohen said.

Because Gheorghiu will perform without a backing orchestra, Cohen said her sound may be different from what the average listener might expect.

“Obviously she’s an opera star — with those people, to do a recital with a piano exposes them in a new way,” Cohen said. “(The arias) are an incredible intensity ... when she gets (to perform them), the voice is incredibly passionate and it’s 
amazing.”