New School of Public Health Day announced

The School of Public Health will break out the party hats Friday for the first IU School of Public Health-Bloomington Day.

According to an IU release, campus leaders and the city of Bloomington proclaimed Friday School of Public Health-Bloomington Day. It is meant to emphasize the role the school has in promoting health and wellness to both IU and the Bloomington community.

“More than anything it’s that the school is here to serve an important function that bridges the Indiana University-Bloomington campus and reaches into the city and broader community,” said Charles Rondot, director of marketing and
communications for SPH.

The SPH addresses some of the biggest public health challenges of the day, like smoking, food choices and lack of physical and mental activity, said Mohammad Torabi, dean of SPH and
chancellor’s professor.

“Our school is perfectly positioned to take these challenges on through research, teaching and community engagement,” Torabi said.

The school works not just on campus, but also in the community. The whole community is invited to IU School of Public
Health-Bloomington Day.

“We’re unique as a school on campus because not only do we conduct important research and teach the next generation of practitioners, preparing them for both rewarding and in-demand careers, but we also play an important role across the campus and throughout our local and regional community in so many ways,” Torabi said.

School of Public Health-Bloomington Day’s main event will be the “Campus and Community Fall Celebration” from 2 to 4 p.m. Friday. The event will have food and drinks as well as live jazz music, performed by a jazz trio from the Jacobs School of Music, on the lawn west of the SPH building.

“From our local coordination of the IU World Heart Day Walk and role in multidisciplinary research and teaching, to helping surrounding communities understand and develop effective responses to critical public health priorities, our mission is woven into the fabric of the lives of those many important people we serve,” Torabi said in the release.

The day is coming just a few days before IU World Heart Day Walk, which SPH organizes. The walk is set to begin at noon Tuesday, Sept. 29 at the Sample Gates.

“Most importantly, I will say that School of Public Health-Bloomington Day is a celebration for all of us since all of us are impacted at a fundamental level by the concepts our school and our community stand for,” Torabi said. “Health and wellness are the foundation of happy, productive and fulfilling lives.”