sports women's soccer

IU fends off Illinois in scoreless draw

After a full 90 minutes and two 10-minute overtime periods for the second consecutive game, IU’s match with Illinois ended as it began.

The Hoosiers (3-3-2) and Illini (6-1-1) played to a 0-0 draw.

IU could not get on the score sheet but was satisfied to earn a point in the standings in its first Big Ten game of the season that featured arguably the best player in the Big Ten, Illinois redshirt senior forward Jannelle Flaws.

“They’re an exceptional team with one of the best players in the country,” IU Coach Amy Berbary said of Illinois. “I thought we did a good job defensively tonight being able to handle what they threw at us.”

One of six teams in the Big Ten with one loss or less, Illinois posted 22 shots on the night but could not convert.

The Hoosiers held Flaws in check in the first half until she rocketed a shot high off the crossbar in the 25th minute. Flaws finished with three shots on goal in total thanks to the Hoosier defense, led by Central Michigan transfer defender Emily Basten.

“It’s kind of part of our ‘United’ theme,” Basten said. “We always talk about covering each other. We know if we can cover each other that makes their opportunities to hit a shot, especially with a great keeper like Stone, very slim.”

Senior goalkeeper Sarah Stone impressed in her season debut in Big Ten play, preventing the Illini from scoring.

“She’s a great player,” Stone said about Flaws. “And I think we really blocked her positioning and kind of kept her off the ball. She got a few shots off, but great players are always going to get a few shots off.”

Stone finished with seven saves and kept her sheet clean, while the Hoosiers defense only surrendered seven shots on goal.

After the game, she received high praise from her coach after her fifth shutout of the season.

“Another shutout for her,” Berbary said. “She has been such a leader back there. Her last name might be Stone, but she is an absolute rock back there.”

The Hoosiers defense continues to excel, as they have only conceded nine goals in nine games. The offense, however, has not put enough balls in the back of the net, Berbary said.

She has a theory on why they’ve struggled to score.

“We’re missing that final piece,” Berbary said. “We’re taking one more touch instead of striking the ball. We’re trying to get the perfect pass instead of making the goalkeepers make a play.”