men's soccer

Hoosiers shut out Purple Aces

spIUMS

IU broke its run of three games without a win as it beat Evansville, 3-0, Wednesday night at Bill 
Armstrong Stadium.

Two goals from senior forward Femi Hollinger-Janzen and a goal from sophomore defender Grant Lillard sealed the biggest win for the Hoosiers this season.

“After the game on Sunday we had to pick up the group as a whole, we had to get a positive mindset going for this game,” Hollinger-Janzen said. “The energy before this game was just phenomenal and it just carried into the game.”

IU started the match with largely the same lineup as the one that lost 4-1 to Rutgers on Sunday. The only changes were in midfield where redshirt freshman Cory Thomas and redshirt junior Phil Fives started in place of freshman Rece Buckmaster and redshirt 
senior Kyle Sparks.

Thomas made the most of his first start and won the penalty that led to IU’s opening goal in the sixth minute. His shot from inside the box ricocheted off the arm of an Evansville defender, which the referee deemed worthy of a penalty.

Hollinger-Janzen stepped up to convert the spot kick and scored his fourth goal of the season. He is now 2-for-3 from the penalty spot.

Junior midfielder Tanner Thompson was at the heart of most of IU’s dangerous opportunities and he set up a chance for Sparks in the 39th minute, but Sparks hit the near post with only the goalkeeper to beat.

A minute later, Hollinger-Janzen would score his fifth of the season. A long throw from Thompson was flicked on by Lillard and Hollinger-Janzen ghosted in from the far side to head the ball into the net.

“If we had to get someone on the score sheet tonight, Femi was one of them,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “I thought his performance tonight was really good outside of the two goals, and that’s what we need from Femi.”

IU was dominant in the first half and went into the break with a 2-0 lead. The Hoosiers defense also restricted the Purple Aces to six shots, none of which were on target.

The Hoosiers came out of the break, maintained their dominance and would extend their lead just two minutes after the hour mark.

A quick free kick by Thompson found junior defender Billy McConnell unmarked on the right flank. The Pennsylvania native dribbled down the flank and whipped a cross into the box that found the head of Lillard, who nodded it in for goal number three.

IU closed the game out after scoring the third goal and restricted Evansville to only one shot in the second half.

“I thought we managed the game well and defensively we were solid all night,” Yeagley said. “The communication and the general edge of the team was heightened and I expect that after a tough week.”

IU now returns to Big Ten action with a game at Northwestern on Sunday.