Farmer's Market 101

Fresh flowers, luscious vegetables, vibrate fruits and live music. Does this all sound wonderful to you? Then you need to head over to The Bloomington Community Farmers' Market. There are some things everyone should know before steeping foot in any f

Fresh flowers, luscious vegetables, vibrate fruits and live music. Does this all sound wonderful to you? Then you need to head over to The Bloomington Community Farmers' Market. There are some things everyone should know before stepping foot in any farmers’ market and your favorite team at INSIDE are going to give you a run down of the do’s and don’ts of farmers’ market etiquette.

Show up on time

Farmers markets almost always start in the mornings. If you plan to get the best products the phrase, “first come first serve” applies here to the highest degree. To make a top-notch meal you will need to get the best ingredients and the finest things go fast.

Look around and explore

The number one rookie mistake is buying the first thing you see or are keen on. In a farmers’ market many vendors sell similar or the same products at different prices. You want to make sure you get a reasonable price for whatever your heart is set on.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions and make conversation

Most people that sell fruits, vegetables, flowers, and so on, are the same people that grow the fruits, water the vegetables and pluck the flowers. Don’t be afraid to ask them about their produce and what it took to get their goods to turn out the way they did. People love talking about their work, so asking them one or two questions is a great way to know what goes into the product you plan to buy.

Go with friends

Farmers’ markets are best enjoyed with great company. Listening to live music is great although listening with people is even better. If you do not plan on buying anything going with friends and taking in the festive scenery is a lovely way to spend a Saturday morning.

Bloomington Community Farmers' Market – Information

Times: The Market is open every Saturday, April through September, from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. and Saturdays in October and November from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m.

Location: 01 N. Morton St. next to City Hall - Showers Building.

For more information click herehere