opinion oped

EDITORIAL: The politics of correctness

Caitlyn Jenner

Controversy has swirled around Caitlyn Jenner for her recent comments about same-sex marriage on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show.”

“I’m older than most people in the audience, you know,” Jenner said. “I mean, I kind of like tradition, and you know, it’s always been a man and a woman.”

While everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, it is no surprise why Jenner’s comments have sparked some confusion and maybe even anger.

She went on to say, “If that word ‘marriage’ is really, really that important to you, I can go with it.”

There’s definitely a hint of hypocrisy in there somewhere.

Not to mention she said this to Ellen DeGeneres, a known lesbian, who just celebrated her seventh wedding anniversary with Portia de Rossi on Aug. 16.

Can you say awkward?

The Editorial Board believes if Jenner wants support and acceptance as a transgender woman from the LGBTQ community, first she should take some of her own advice and be a little more supportive of same-sex couples.

However, we also understand that Jenner has identified as a Republican for all of her life and grew up in a conservative household, so it might take some time for her to warm up to the idea of same-sex marriage.

Because of her lifelong identity as a Republican, she still has a lot of preconceptions about issues regarding the LGBTQ community.

Who knows, maybe she just sits around her Malibu home watching Fox News all day.

Or maybe she’s just a Republican because she’s rich?

But wait a minute.

Being transgender does not align with Republican views either, making it a little harder to believe her political beliefs are the reason Jenner has a hard time supporting gay marriage.

It’s no secret that some of the 
LGBTQ community has been known to openly discriminate against transgender people, so we can’t be too surprised that some in these communities are at odds regarding a hot issue in 
our country.

Jenner talks with transgender people from all walks of life on her reality show “I Am Cait,” from people of color to low-income transgender people.

On her show, Jenner genuinely tries to understand the lives of the people she talks to and the struggles they face.

It seems that there is a bit of a gap between the Jenner on her show and the Jenner in the public spotlight. The Editorial Board thinks if we give her enough time to listen to people’s views on why gay marriage is important to them, hopefully she will begin to understand where they are coming from.

As a public figure who has aligned herself with the LGBTQ community, it is crucial that she do her best to understand her fellow human beings’ struggle or she is just another naysayer.

Though it is important to recognize we cannot just lump all LGBTQ people together like the acronym suggests, they are parts of a marginalized community, so it just makes sense that they would support each other.

Like we said before, she’s entitled to her opinion ... but in this case, she’s 
still wrong.