Cyber Café transitions into Bookmark[et] Eatery

If you have visited the Herman B Wells Library this semester, you might have noticed a pop-up sign by the escalator with the message that the dining facilities in the basement are currently closed for construction.

This project is transforming the former Cyber Café into the new Bookmark(et) Eatery.

The plan began in November 2014, when a decision was made by campus leadership to change the management of the cafe from the IMU to Residential Programs and Services, in order to better serve customers in general and increase the quality of dining options.

Fixing the problems with the Cyber Café entailed gutting the entire location of interior walls and equipment.

This is needed to create a larger space for the multiple restaurants that will call the Wells Library home

The estimated opening is scheduled for the first day of classes in January 2016.

“Starting from scratch has allowed RPS to work with food service design consultants to create a space that can more effectively serve customers but also provide a better environment to connect with other students, faculty and staff,” said Patrick Connor, the executive director of RPS.

From a student standpoint, the biggest issue with the former Cyber Café was not the space or the food selection, but rather the possible modes of payment, sophomore Shannon McPike said.

Similar to the variety of restaurants that are available in the IMU, the Cyber Café accepted Campus Access cards, credit cards and cash, but not meal plan points.

“The only problem was that you couldn’t use meal points,” McPile said. “That’s why I didn’t eat there often. If meal points can be used, I’m excited about the new restaurant.”

As of right now, there is no answer as to whether or not the new eatery will accept meal points, but since it is now under the management of RPS instead of the IMU, it is a possibility.

The new dining area will feature five micro-
restaurants.

These will include the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, a global brand with locations in more than 25 countries; Scholars Inn Bakehouse, serving burgers and breakfast food; Crema Dolce, an ice cream shop serving products from the Chocolate Moose; the Traveler, a restaurant specializing in international cuisine; and Panino Mio, serving paninis and desserts.

“We feel that this mix will be very exciting for students and the rest of the Bloomington community,” Connor said. “These new dining options, along with partnerships with local favorites, will come together to offer an exciting vibe at the center of the IUB campus.”