Bloomington Buddy Walk celebrates those with Down Syndrome

ciWalk

The Bloomington National Down Syndrome Society Buddy Walk is not about focusing on what some people can’t do. Rather, it’s about celebrating the things all Bloomington residents can enjoy together, according to one of the event’s organizers, Cyndi Johnson.

“This is so much bigger than Down syndrome,” said Johnson, who helped start Bloomington’s version of the national fundraising campaign eight years ago. “It’s about bringing the community together, people of all abilities, to come out and do the things we are all able to do, like honor these amazing people and enjoy this beautiful fall day.”

More than 1,000 people from across the state were gathered for the event at the Monroe County Fairgrounds on Sunday afternoon to celebrate their loved ones, support the disabled community and raise funds for the Down Syndrome Family Connection, a local nonprofit.

Attendees played carnival games to win bubbles, jewelry and other prizes.

Children bounced down inflatable slides and parents wore buttons with photos and names of their sons and daughters.

“We want to support our families and support this cause because we love someone with Down syndrome,” Nancy Dearborn said while holding her granddaughter, Julia Corbin. Julia, who has Down syndrome, giggled as her grandma arranged her hair with a special Buddy Walk bow.

Though many of the event’s attendees had family members with Down syndrome, there were also families who simply came to show their support and have a good time with their fellow community 
members.

“A lot of it is about education,” said Daniel Sturgeon, the organizer of Bloomington’s first dad’s group for dads of children with Down syndrome. “It’s helping kids understand that even though this person may look different or act different, they still make great friends.”

After donning funny hats, glasses and boa scarves, guests smiled and stuck out their tongues at the photo booth’s 
cameraman.

Most of the crowd wore lime green shirts. The guests of honor were the adults and children with Down syndrome. Event organizers often refer to them as “self-advocates.” In honor of the celebration, many of them wore medals rimmed with stars.

“We want people to see that they are not their disabilities. They are people who just so happen to have that diagnosis,” said Johnson, whose 8-year-old daughter has Down Syndrome. “Today we’re looking at all of the great things that they are bringing to the table. It’s the upside of Down syndrome.”

Before the walk began, attendees gathered in the auditorium for brief speeches and a raffle drawing. Volunteers led a dance to the song, “Everything is Awesome,” during which the audience waved flags.

As the walk began, cheerleaders from local middle schools encouraged the participants with special Buddy Walk cheers and signs.

A little boy named Gus sat beaming on his father’s shoulders. His family surrounded him with a sign reading, “Gus’s Gang.”

Along with the event’s official hashtag, #BuddyWalkBloomington, Twitter users commemorated the day with internet shout-outs like #theluckyfew, #DifferentNotLess and 
#nothingdownaboutit.

“Bloomington loves great causes, and there’s no better cause than people,” Johnson said. “If the number of people here and the smiles on faces aren’t a testimony that Bloomington is ready to be a more accessible and inviting community, then I don’t know what would be.”