Big Red Eats Green festival promotes local food

caBigRed

The IU Office of Sustainability will present the fifth annual Big Red Eats Green Festival today.

The festival will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in front of the IU Art Museum.

The mission of the annual festival is tri-fold, according to the IU Office of Sustainability website. The festival underscores the benefits of eating local food, highlights the availability of local food and supports the native local food community, welcoming local growers and restaurants committed to local food and sustainable practices.

“This event is very important because it initiates a conversation about sustainable food sources,” said Kristen Billings, an officer for Revitalizing Animal Well-being. “Hazardous agriculture practices and food waste are two large issues that face our country, and they will become increasingly important as global climate change begins to affect our lives in more 
tangible ways.”

The festival will also be an opportunity for students to enjoy live music. This year, Duck Trash and Pnature Walk will perform at the festival.

Assistant Director of Sustainability Kristin Brethova said there will be new vendors at this year’s festival that have not attended in previous years, such as Rainbow Bakery, Rasta Pops and No Coast Reserve.

The event will feature growers as well as vendors, including Soma, Laughing Planet and Upland Brewery, according to the Office of Sustainability’s website. Last year, all the food sold was less than $5, which made it affordable for college students.

Student organizations, such as VegIU, Healthy IU and the Student Sustainability Council, will have representatives at this year’s festival, according to the event’s website. Other organizations, such as Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard, the Local Growers’ Guild, Green Acres EcoVillage and Blue Valley Farm, will also send representatives to this year’s event.

“Making students aware of sustainable food options and encouraging better food sourcing practices betters our community and lessens the environmental harms associated with large scale production of food,” Billings said. “The event is both fun and informative.”

Ellie Symes, financial director for the Student Sustainability Council, organized this event last year and said it was a great event to stop by during the walk to class.

“I think it is important to show students how affordable and easy it is to eat locally and sustainable in Bloomington,” Symes said.