Christian Ministry Cru reaches out to new students

With the new semester just around the corner, Christian Ministry Cru has the chance to reach out to freshmen and show them why they might want to join.

“Why are you still here? What keeps you coming back?” senior David Phillips said. “We’re going to find the white-hot why.”

Cru members met for their event “We Back” on Friday to determine how to effectively make their ministry known and provide an exciting atmosphere for freshmen to join. The day included talks from Cru staff members and students, including Phillips.

“Why do we come together on this campus in community when we ourselves are lonely?” Phillips said. “Because we had a life-changing moment with Jesus. Now we are the ones shouting, ‘Come and see Christ.’”

“We Back” was the perfect opportunity to remind members not only what they believe, but why they desire to share it with campus, 
Phillips said.

Senior and female emcee Kelsee Spells said she hopes to see the people of Cru step out of their comfort zones and make meaningful relationships with people outside of their friends in Cru.

"‘We Back’ is a time for returning Cru students to catch up about our summers so that those reunions don’t distract us from giving our full attention to new students,” Spells said. “It is a refreshing retreat where we discuss our game plan and strategies for reaching students. Leaders leave ‘We Back’ feeling excited and motivated to work hard in these next few weeks.”

Spells said she is passionate about engaging a new generation of freshmen in their organization and 
mission.

One plan of action to attract new freshmen is what they refer to as “Midnight Madness.”

At midnight the Sunday before classes start, members chalk about Cru in front of every residence hall in hopes someone might notice and take interest on the way to their first class.

Staff member and Central Campus Leader Mark Tirey, smiled in anticipation for what students will read on the ground Monday.

“I get emotional for freshmen coming into Cru, seeing chalk on the ground, the Holy Spirit moving through (Cru members) to share the truth,” Tirey said.

Cru’s biggest plan of action, however, is word of mouth.

“Our No. 1 strategy for reaching students is to personally invite them to Cru and share why it has been so essential to our college experiences,” Spells said. “This enables us to make personal connections with students, which is really what Cru is all about — being a part of a tight-knit community that believes in the gospel of Jesus Christ and spreading His love to the world.”

Cru also utilized FaithFest, a welcome week program where students can meet members of all religious-affiliated organizations in Dunn Meadow, to invite freshmen to join.

Members set up a booth to meet with freshmen Sunday. According to Tirey, Cru wants to build friendships with students walking around and attract those who could want to be a part of Cru.

Cru members do the same thing at the Student Involvement Fair. Organizations on campus set up a booth Sept. 2 in Dunn 
Meadow.

Cru emphasizes the importance of growing as an organization and not just with the rest of campus. From the start of “We Back,” the members of Cru greeted others with a warm hug and cheerful smile, eagerly asking each other about their summer experiences.

Before “We Back” was over, members gathered together in smaller groups based on what area of campus they work in to decide how each would stay active with each other by planning area specific social events.

“The fellowship that I’ve experienced at Cru has been life changing,” Spells said. “These are the people who carry me when life is ugly and celebrate with me when life is good. Cru has been a safe place to discover who I am and to discover who God is.”

The Christian ministry offers a small group for freshmen in every residence hall, as well as small groups for upperclassmen in each area of campus.

Cru members meet at 8:30 p.m. every Thursday night in Woodburn Hall 100 for a time of worship.

“We Back” was followed by a prayer walk through campus and dinners for each area of campus.

Cru staff member Rachel Ryan said her life has been affected through the influence Cru had on her husband Billy Ryan’s life and emphasized the need to pray over the campus.

“I think we need to go out there and cloak each dorm with prayer,” Rachel said.